• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Global Should the acronym 'kys' be allowed y/n

Do you think you should be muted for saying 'kys'

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
A discussion, not an argument.

Discussion:
The action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.​
Argument:
An exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one
The connotations are completely different.
-------------------
You say we are using "Its not real life" as a scapegoat. The fact is a game is not real life. Sure, if some one told me "kys" in real life I would take offense; In a game I don't take offense. If a player is not mature enough to realise that they cannot take everything that is said to them on the internet literally, then they should not be on the internet. Anything anybody says could possibly offend, upset, discourage, enrage, or otherwise affect a players emotions; by your logic, since it is potentially offensive, we should mute all global chat. However, by my (and many others) logic, a player who would take offense should know they would take offense and thereby avoid the situation. They already have removed phallicies, obsscenities, explitives, and controversies. My six year old neice could play, and not be offended regardless if someone told her "kys".

Going back to your point about a player being fragile and going to play games to escape from reality. This server is one of the most friendly servers I know. But if a person is that fragile and sensitive, there are may other games they can play. There are hundreds of other online games out there.

Minecraft is rated E10+, there is no reason we should make the server for anyone less than 10, since the esrb says it is not appropriate for those under 10. Anyone over 10 should be mature enough to determine that what they hear on the internet should not be taken to heart, regardless of their emotional frailty.

iiMatt52

A discussion, not an argument.

Discussion:
The action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.​
Argument:
An exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one
The connotations are completely different.
-------------------
You say we are using "Its not real life" as a scapegoat. The fact is a game is not real life. Sure, if some one told me "kys" in real life I would take offense; In a game I don't take offense. If a player is not mature enough to realise that they cannot take everything that is said to them on the internet literally, then they should not be on the internet. Anything anybody says could possibly offend, upset, discourage, enrage, or otherwise affect a players emotions; by your logic, since it is potentially offensive, we should mute all global chat. However, by my (and many others) logic, a player who would take offense should know they would take offense and thereby avoid the situation. They already have removed phallicies, obsscenities, explitives, and controversies. My six year old neice could play, and not be offended regardless if someone told her "kys".

Going back to your point about a player being fragile and going to play games to escape from reality. This server is one of the most friendly servers I know. But if a person is that fragile and sensitive, there are may other games they can play. There are hundreds of other online games out there.

Minecraft is rated E10+, there is no reason we should make the server for anyone less than 10, since the esrb says it is not appropriate for those under 10. Anyone over 10 should be mature enough to determine that what they hear on the internet should not be taken to heart, regardless of their emotional frailty.
Blah blah blah (call me childish if you wish, idc about the whole definitions thing)
"If a player is not mature enough to realize that they cannot take everything that is said to them on the internet literally, then they should not be on the internet"
ARE YOU FORGETTING THAT THERE ARE 7 YEAR OLDS THAT PLAY THIS GAME?!?!

"My six year old neice could play, and not be offended regardless if someone told her "kys"." Good for her, once again, SHE ISN'T EVERYONE

Regardless of whether its rated 7+ or 10+ you can't state that by that age you should be "mature enough" as maturity has next to nothing to do with it.
I can tell you that if I were 7 or 10 and someone were to tell me to kill myself I would probably cry, be it irl or online. Just because your personal experiences are different to others doesn't mean that they are right.

iiBaemy52

Retired Staff
The fact is a game is not real life. Sure, if some one told me "kys" in real life I would take offense; In a game I don't take offense.
It doesnt matter whether its online or not, your still telling someone to kill themselves
If a player is not mature enough to realise that they cannot take everything that is said to them on the internet literally, then they should not be on the internet
Again, this game is for younger players aswell, and even being older myself i dont appreciate seeing negitive comments and people telling others to "kys".

Anything anybody says could possibly offend, upset, discourage, enrage, or otherwise affect a players emotions; by your logic, since it is potentially offensive, we should mute all global chat.
Yes, potentionally everything can be offensive to at least someone but that doesnt change the fact that telling someone to die is never okay, even if it is in a "jokey" way someone else might see it and get triggered by it.

However, by my (and many others) logic, a player who would take offense should know they would take offense and thereby avoid the situation
How are you supposed to avoid being told to kys or seeing someone else in chat say kys?
and dont say "dont go on the server" because thats unfair to the people who want to play without all the negetivity

Going back to your point about a player being fragile and going to play games to escape from reality. This server is one of the most friendly servers I know.
Well its clearly not very friendly if your all arguing that telling people to kill themselfs is okay

You wouldnt go up to a 10 year old irl and tell them to kill themselfs so why would you do it online. theres no differance.
a 10 year old is still very influentional and like _Link said earlier they will begin to think that its okay to say and possibly say it in situations which arent a "joke" (again not saying its okay to say as a joke) and upset someone/cause them to do something

iiBaemy52

Retired Staff
Aslo, i remember from being staff that making innapropriate referances (such as shrek is love shrek is life) is a 1 day ban so i dont see how saying kys (which is way worse in my opinion) gets no punishment

Unitus

Retired Staff
Alright guys, after reading tons of opinions, I have made my conclusion, the fact that this is a game or not, being emotionally strong or not, it being used as banter or a way to let rage go, if such a horrendous phrase such as "kys" is allowed, acronym or not, it still means "kill yourself". You may say, but there are many people who don't understand acronyms anyway. If you say an acronym I yet don't know, believe me I will do a simple google search, and inform myself, the internet is open to everyone. You can't depend of how the person will react to what you are telling him/her, the person might take it personal, or identify it as banter, but you never know that. Someone reads your "kys" statement, you meaning it as a joke or not, the person may think "this person actually wants me dead, he/she wants me to kill myself". If that person actually commits suicide, what will look bad will be the server for allowing such a nasty acronym to be said on the server (even though if someone abuses the kys acronym a staff member could analyze the situation and intervene), but as I stated earlier acronym or not it still means "kill yourself". If death is involved, with something said on the server, immediately the government could intervene, this can possibly get the server shut-down, this is some serious stuff. So my suggestion is to filter "kys", banter or not, it has an atrocious meaning, and it simply creates a tight atmosphere on a game that you just go online to have fun, not to have people wish you were dead. Be safe, filter it, I don't really find the reason why not to filter it, how could it possibly affect the people who say the word? If you want to let your rage out, better use "eZ" or "pZ", but remember not to abuse them, those words create a tight environment as well, but it is not as bad as "kys". This is my honest humble opinion, not saying that any other opinion is invalid, friendly discussion, so if you disagree with me, it's fine, pls no hate I fna

Last edited:

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff
The ignorance on this post is unreal, here are a few words from my fellow friend in which I will copy what he said as I cannot link it due to advertisement reasons. If you are not mature enough to handle swear words I suggest you click off this post.

When was the last time you walked up to your classmate and told him “Go kill yourself.” If this was more than once, then go **** yourself. You are scum. Why the absolute **** are you telling someone to go end their life. This is literally the worst thing you can tell someone. I realize you may be frustrated, but under no circumstances is it ever okay to tell someone to kill themselves. As ****** as your day may be, there may be another person who is worse off.

Like seriously, when are you ever going to go and tell people to do one of these horrible things. If any of you said this to me to my face I would knock out your front teeth. Just because you are hiding behind a computer screen what gives you the right to say something so terrible. Just by the severity of the insult I would judge how bad of a person you are.

Oh, no, but its not your fault, of course. "He was bow spamming. He didn't say gg. He was laggy…" It's sickens me to see these used as reasoning for such actions. Accept that you can improve at the game, and say “good game” or “gg/gf”. Go watch any professional gaming scene, you will never see the players walk up to the other team and say something as stupid as “drink bleach”. NO they shake their opponent’s hand and then walk away with some dignity. Even with sports 100 times more violent than Minecraft PVP people pay respects to their opponent, no matter how hard they got beaten up (
).
Agreed upon the fact that happy hunger games, the server, should in my opinion, be acceptable to everyone who comes onto the server. The fact I like to think it should be a safe environment to all users is not questionable and that the community should be a secure community. The fact that some people fail to see the.. understandable side to some people is quite oblivious, it may be an acronym but an acronym still has a meaning, nevertheless I have seen that people think an acronym seems to lose a meaning when said.

Even if they don't kill themselves, even one reason to saying that can influence a little bit on them, and if something then happens somewhere else, hhgn is partly I guess to blame for the fact they were in a part of it; resulting in if they do.

iiMatt52

Alright guys, after reading tons of opinions, I have made my conclusion, the fact that this is a game or not, being emotionally strong or not, it being used as banter or a way to let rage go, if such a horrendous phrase such as "kys" is allowed, acronym or not, it still means "kill yourself". You may say, but there are many people who don't understand acronyms anyway. If you say an acronym I yet don't know, believe me I will do a simple google search, and inform myself, the internet is open to everyone. You can't depend of how the person will react to what you are telling him/her, the person might take it personal, or identify it as banter, but you never know that. Someone reads your "kys" statement, you meaning it as a joke or not, the person may think "this person actually wants me dead, he/she wants me to kill myself". If that person actually commits suicide, what will look bad will be the server for allowing such a nasty phrase to be said on the server (even though if someone abuses the kys acronym a staff member could analyze the situation and intervene), but as I stated earlier acronym or not it still means "kill yourself". If death is involved, with something said on the server, immediately the government could intervene, this can possibly get the server shut-down, this is some serious stuff. So my suggestion is to filter "kys", banter or not, it is an atrocious phrase, and it simply creates a tight atmosphere on a game that you just go online to have fun, not to have people wish you were dead. Be safe, filter it, I don't really find the reason why not to filter it, how could it possibly affect the people who say the word? If you want to let your rage out, better use "eZ" or "pZ", but remember not to abuse them, those words create a tight environment as well, but it is not as bad as "kys". This is my honest humble opinion, not saying that any other opinion is invalid, friendly discussion, so if you disagree with me, it's fine, pls no hate I fna
:eek: this is like the first thing we have ever agreed on, but I am glad that you feel the same way nonetheless c:
As a comment on the "friendly discussion" I'm here so I'm not sure that's possible but meh, das just me c:

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff
Alright guys, after reading tons of opinions, I have made my conclusion, the fact that this is a game or not, being emotionally strong or not, it being used as banter or a way to let rage go, if such a horrendous phrase such as "kys" is allowed, acronym or not, it still means "kill yourself". You may say, but there are many people who don't understand acronyms anyway. If you say an acronym I yet don't know, believe me I will do a simple google search, and inform myself, the internet is open to everyone. You can't depend of how the person will react to what you are telling him/her, the person might take it personal, or identify it as banter, but you never know that. Someone reads your "kys" statement, you meaning it as a joke or not, the person may think "this person actually wants me dead, he/she wants me to kill myself". If that person actually commits suicide, what will look bad will be the server for allowing such a nasty phrase to be said on the server (even though if someone abuses the kys acronym a staff member could analyze the situation and intervene), but as I stated earlier acronym or not it still means "kill yourself". If death is involved, with something said on the server, immediately the government could intervene, this can possibly get the server shut-down, this is some serious stuff. So my suggestion is to filter "kys", banter or not, it is an atrocious phrase, and it simply creates a tight atmosphere on a game that you just go online to have fun, not to have people wish you were dead. Be safe, filter it, I don't really find the reason why not to filter it, how could it possibly affect the people who say the word? If you want to let your rage out, better use "eZ" or "pZ", but remember not to abuse them, those words create a tight environment as well, but it is not as bad as "kys". This is my honest humble opinion, not saying that any other opinion is invalid, friendly discussion, so if you disagree with me, it's fine, pls no hate I fna
I also would like to say I agree to what Unitus said. It is quite logical to what he said and understandable in my view. I like to take everyone into consideration, I am not saying however you guys are not, but you are in my opinion again, missing valued points that can be addressed and taken into consideration.

louisbyrne

yo here's my opinion
the term kys is rude, but it just depends on how u take stuff. u could ask me and i wouldn't care less. HOWEVER, you could ask someone who may already have mental health issues and it's most likely that they'd take offence. imo, a child with stable mental health wouldn't really care if someone told them to kill themselves. no one really wants to die, but in many cases people feel like it's the right thing to happen. the child might find it rude but i don't think it'll do any harm.
i believe the term "kys" shouldn't be allowed, purely based on the damage it can do. i'm not saying everyone's gonna go kill him or herself if the term is directed at them, but there may be a few cases in which it can deal some damage.

iiMatt52

yo here's my opinion
the term kys is rude, but it just depends on how u take stuff. u could ask me and i wouldn't care less. HOWEVER, you could ask someone who may already have mental health issues and it's most likely that they'd take offence. imo, a child with stable mental health wouldn't really care if someone told them to kill themselves. no one really wants to die, but in many cases people feel like it's the right thing to happen. the child might find it rude but i don't think it'll do any harm.
i believe the term "kys" shouldn't be allowed, purely based on the damage it can do. i'm not saying everyone's gonna go kill him or herself if the term is directed at them, but there may be a few cases in which it can deal some damage.
Agreed, also I would like to say gg @ the fact that your comment was far more logical than those who have been here for a long time and you have only been on the forum for a day.

Xist_

Agreed, also I would like to say gg @ the fact that your comment was far more logical than those who have been here for a long time and you have only been on the forum for a day.

Sorry you can't say im Illogical i take offence to that

louisbyrne

Minecraft is a video game, video games aren't reality, one day people of all ages will learn that, if players are muted for saying kys, thats like saying everyone should be muted for a negative opinion. That's pointless, everyone has their own opinion on people and the ideals of their fellow people.

If a player tells you to kys, why should it matter to you? Who cares about their opinion or remarks? It's time for minecraft players to end the pathetic (and i mean pathetic) drama that I see on this server and other servers everyday. You know yourself more than anyone else, only your own opinions of yourself matter, and if you don't like who you are, your not the only one, join the rest of the world. If you wanna change yourself, seek proper help to make you a better person, it works, just find someone who truly can help you. We strive to become greater, and most of us will become greater. However, people don't realize they never needed help, as they were already perfect with who they are and were. Stay strong my friends.

~ST0RM
if that's the case then you might as well get rid of all the swearing filters, imo the term kys is a lot harsher than most if not all swear words

Xist_

I kinda agree with you but imo if you are so sensitive you shouldn't really be going on my internet

iiMatt52

I'M A VAMPIRE HEAR ME ROAR
Wut
I kinda agree with you but imo if you are so sensitive you shouldn't really be going on my internet
"my internet" bruh n you can't say that if you are sensitive you shouldn't be on the internet because someone shouldn't have to shield them self from something that is quite frankly a necessity in modern society.

XV_Scorpion_VX

Retired Staff
Im done talking to brick walls for one day. You people need to learn that you can simply just not listen to someone if they say something, or if you're so bothered, just block or remove them, there's always an option. And yes that was an insult to a lot of you.

louisbyrne

Im done talking to brick walls for one day. You people need to learn that you can simply just not listen to someone if they say something, or if you're so bothered, just block or remove them, there's always an option. And yes that was an insult to a lot of you.
you can't simply ignore someone if they've directed something at u and you've haven't already done /ignore, one time can be enough for some.

iiMatt52

Das a lil hypocritical broh, just because you can "simply not listen to someone" doesn't mean that someone else can. Blocking and removing is totally a thing in game isnt it..

Status
Not open for further replies.