• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!

Should Gay Be Unblocked From Filter?

Should The Word *** Be Unblocked From Filter?

• Yes (I agree)

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • YES (I strongly Agree)

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • no (I Disagree)

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • NO (I strongly Disagree)

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Neutral (Not Sure)

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EL3CTR1C

Retired Staff
Several Creative Players with different Sexuality have asked for this word to be removed from Filter. I thought it would be best to have the community discuss whether it should stay filtered or not with good supporting reasons based on their opinions.

Please Respect Everybody's Opinions in this thread, Do Not Flamebait/Be rude or you will receive Forum Warnings.

Let The Debate Begin!

(Tip: If you show pros and cons for both sides, it will make your argument better and stronger.)

Word in Discussion is G.a.y

Deathtoalldinis

Being a homosexual, Confused, Pan sexual, etc, is fine. Although for some reason the word...well short vers for Homosexual (you all know what I mean -.-) is on the filter on Happy Hunger Games Network. The reason it should be off filter is because everyone has their own voice, and having (Short ver for homosexual blocked) is more offensive to people who are homosexual then being called trash for being homosexual / pan sexual / etc. Understandable that people are homophobic and they will hate this being allowed, but it should be because most people either support it / think it should be allowed even if they are not that sexuality. Next point, it is understandable to have young children be exposed to that word, but its 2016 where homosexual marriage is legal in the united states of america (where the majority of people on hhg are from) and everyone should understand that children might freak out at the fact that this is all new to them, but they will get used to it and maybe make their life easier by knowing something ahead of time. My fingers hurt from all this typing so im gonna take a little break, I will say the rest of this stuff later, but for now I will say bye. The date I am typing this is 8/6/16. No one has replied to this thread (When im reading this) so first :)

jcdentonswh0re69

It should and shouldn't. I'm stating my reasons why.
Allowing the word G.a.y:
  • 1: We should be allowed to say this, and express ourselves and our interests.
  • 2: I feel like a lot of people (including me) Want to express this, A majority of people on HHG.
3: People have the right to say their sexuallity. Since a lot of people mistake them for straight. I'm listing more reasons.

And people can abuse the filter of g.a.y and judge people for it. All i can suggest is that you get a little bit of a better filter.
E.G a homophobe says: "you're g.a.y kys!" This is where you can think of sentences which would hurt people.

I love you all So so much.
2016-08-06_22.35.38.png
My lovely LGBT Community. <3 Thanks for helping me!

bbaaiilleeyy

Homosexuality is something to be embraced, and not mocked for. If you think these words are offensive you need to be educated more. Wake up people. This is the 21st Century. Same gender marriage is legal. I believe that these words should be removed from the filter because they are everyday things. Someone you know is probably Homosexual. And for those of you who think these things shouldn't be talked about in a block game, think about all the closeted LGBTQ+ people. Maybe they don't trust/know anyone LGBTQ+ to talk about these matters with. I also believe that both parties have a valid point. Thank you for taking your time to listen to this rant. These are all my opinions and you may disagree.

ilysvm

Hello, Caitlin here. And I just want to state that as a Pansexual female, I feel that removing all words having to do with LGBTQ+ from the filter is very necessary. Now, I can understand why some people wouldn't want this removed, because maybe either they're homophobic, or that they don't want the words gay, homo, lesbo, etc. to be used in a derogatory manor. But I completely disagree, and I feel that these words, if they ARE used in a demeaning state, that the person using them that way should be reported and muted. This is the 21st century, the first generation to actually start accepting people who they really are. If these words are blocked, we could be teaching young children, 8,7, and even maybe 6 years old, that these words are wrong, maybe even cuss words and shouldn't be used. I think that by this vote, and these people supporting this issue, we can achieve the word to be taken off of the filter. It's very important to most of us in the LGBTQ+ community that these words are brought back to light in a positive, accepting way. Thank you. :)

EPICMATT88

Trusted Member
Even though I am straight. Being gay is fine by me. It doesn't matter who you love it matters if you are a good person or not. So I agree it should be unlocked because it's really not an insult now a days.

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
Before I share my side of the argument because I know people are going to get offended. This is strictly MY OPINION. You may have a different one but this is MY OPINION. I am allowed to have different opinions than other people. Now that, that is out of the way. I personally think it shouldn't be removed. Due to the fact that many many people use it to insult. Also, I personally don't agree with it. Now I am not saying I hate everyone who is part of it. In no way am I say that. I am saying I disagree with it. We all have disagreements. Just like religion and stuff this is similar in some ways. The reason I don't agree with it is due to my beliefs. Now, I can understand why some people would want it to be unblocked. Because some people don't want to be put down for who they are. That is my opinion. I am going to repeat somethings because I know there will be at least one person who will be mad at me. This is strictly MY OPINION, just like religion people can have different opinions. and just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I hate those people. I am friends with people who don't have a religion. I can also be friends with people who are like this. If you start getting mad at me and stuff I will ignore you because you obviously haven't read this properly. Also, I am adding this on. I don't think we should be teaching kids who are 6, 7, or 8 what these words mean. That is not up to us. That's up to the parents. Also, just because "This is the way the world is" doesn't make it good or right. Now I am not saying like I said multiple times that I hate those people or anything. I'm pointing out that just because something is this way doesn't make it right. If we always just are like "That's the way the world is you just got to accept it and get used to it" that is not right. You have to fight for what you believe. Also, going off with the young children. That's not up to us to decide for those kids to learn what those things are. and being like "Oh, they will learn it eventually" it still doesn't make it right. Does that mean we should start teaching children about suicide and stuff because "they will eventually figure it out" NO! We should not!

Last edited:

AltairTheSoldier

This is 2016 people. Homosexuality is something that's not new. It's been around. It's only caused a major spark recently. And like Cele said, It's everyday things. I will never understand why people have to hate over a few words. Being a Trans (Born F but now male) and Bisexual it's kind of an issue to "express myself." To be honest I think the words like gay, Les, Homo arent really used in a hateful manner much now unless someone is a troll and or homophobe. They're the ones that should be muted and not us for wanting to say what we want. It's pushing our freedom of speech limits. And I understand, kids play on the server but they too should know about the world around them. Thanks for reading lmao

I also love our LGBTQ+ Fam

MintySuga

Ok me being Homosexual I strongly agree that this should be unblocked, this is this 21st century, same gender marriage is legal.
If people want to use that word for homophobic jokes people would report it and that person will get muted.
Being Homo, pan, bi/ LGBT+ is fine.
This generation actually started actually accepting people. Like I said in the beginning I think that any word doing with LGBT+ should be unblocked.

cStella

Retired Staff
I don't believe that when that word is used and thrown around in game of blocks that it is meant for a deep discussion about sexuality to begin. People use the word as slang just as so many other words are not and should not be taken at their literal meaning when used. (Side note: I'm confused as to why anyone feels the need to talk about their *** life on a MC server? I don't particularly care what you do in your private time. I mean if the word sh*t is not allowed because it "isn't appropriate for younger players", then I don't think discussions about sexuality/*** should be tolerated on a MC server either)
Clearly this topic/word can spark strong feelings in the community like what happened earlier and unfortunately, it seems that so many people look hard for a reason to feel offended these days ........ therefore in an attempt to keep the peace and to keep the focus more on the game (where it should be), I believe it should continue be filtered.

HHG RULES:

"Respect Everybody

Every player deserves to have the best Minecraft experience, and being disrespectful towards others and the ideals of others, will not achieve this goal that Happy-HG believes in! Discussions about racism, sexism, Inappropriate conduct and references, religious and political views, and any other form of Discrimination will not be tolerated. Please do not disrespect our players or staff in any way. This includes being rude, bullying, harassment and/or flame-baiting.

Everyone has the right to be on HHGN without fear of being discriminated against, any reported violations will lead to immediate and system based punishment carried out by our staff team."

Last edited:

ImTea

Retired Staff
Alright, I've lightly skimmed the comments, so sorry if I missed an opinion or something, but this is my take on the whole issue:

Good:
+ People can express themselves
+ People of the LGBT community would feel more welcomed.

Bad:
- For a long time the term we are specifically talking about was used as a harsh slur, and some people still feel this way about it.
- People mistreat many words that are part of this specific community, turning a label into a slur.
- It will obviously be abused. Some people aren't mature, specifically looking at the PvP Community ;) (Generalizing, I know, but idrc. I'm part of the group so dun get salty.)

My Thoughts:
I think the whole idea is kind of immature. This whole LGBT Community really started going after their rights for a long time now, and so I don't see why just now everyone on the server thinks that it is a big deal to have a label commonly used as a slur, or used in a harsh manner, blocked. Also, I don't see why HHG, a community that is supposed to be happy and kind of "Family Friendly" needs to remove this from their filter when many servers, big and small, have this word and more blocked because of the way people use the word, or more abuse the word. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of articles about the LGBT Community and the rights they fight for, but still don't know as much as someone that is in this community themselves, but I still don't see why this is such an issue now.

EL3CTR1C

Retired Staff
Ok So here's my opinion as to why it should and shouldn't be blocked on our server.
Pros
1. Unblocking these words shows how open minded we as a generation and as a community are becoming, as more and more people, countries, and religions are now being more open when it comes to views about woman,sexuality,gender etc.

2. We Have rules about respecting everybody, who they love and feel emotionally attached to is just another category that falls under this guideline.

3. Anyone that makes bad comments in a negative context about sexuality, can be easily muted by a simple report.

4. They have a right to express themselves to an extent. Everyone should be tolerate of others feelings and should not force their beliefs on others. As the 21st century generation, I think we can be kind and considerate to each other, as we are all people and sexuality is just 1 small thing that defines who we are.

Cons
1. I guarantee people with traditional views will have problems interacting or will feel awkward with people of different sexuality. I notice the pro side as been saying gay marriage is legal etc, please be aware however HHG is a GLOBAL server. and believe me not every country or people is as open minded as America can be. (America tbh is just as traditional as other countries, it takes years to change anything big, which is why we as humans suffer from the curse of long gradualism.)

2. This is Minecraft, Minecraft is a friendly game for all ages, and there are a lot of young boys and girls who don't understand sexuality yet, If a 10 year old make a bad joke about it how do you think the community will react? By keeping these words filtered we don't have to worry about major arguments or players stoning each other to death over small misunderstandings/unknowingly rude comments.

3. We don't allow religion or political debate for obvious reasons, it ends in disrespect and major flame baiting, to the point where we ban/mute players who often don't know what they are talking about. Allowing this is going to lead to hurtful comments, comments that are also expected when talking about Religion or Politics, thats why they are against the server rules after all. If we allow this, those rules will seem pointless and invalid.

4. This can be easily abused, players complain a lot about staff being racist just because we only allow English in global chat, (most of us only speak english, we can't moderate other languages because we honestly don't understand them very well.) A player may use the "Homophobe" card, as i even saw earlier today when a staff asked players to not bypass filter. That immaturity over being asked to follow the rules does not help the Pro's argument.

Overall
I say lets do what the community wants! I'm a straight male, and I really don't care what my friends are into sexually because I don't judge people by their preferences, I perceive who they are as a human, if they are someone I wanna be friends with, then I will be friends with them. As I also said before, its time we end the Old Traditional Values against gays and other sexuality types. However if the community feels that its not appropriate to discuss on our minecraft server, I can see why and will also agree with that. It really doesn't matter what you choose to me, as OGLucas said Everyone should just have fun and ignore the small stuff that others have been judged by.

~ST0RM

Shadow_Squadron

Retired Staff
I am in a very neutral state about this. Because before these words were blocked all we got were complaints of people using the words in an inappropriate and derogatory manor. So eventually we came to the conclusion as to block these words.
Now that I am seeing people wish to see these unblocked is completely fine as they wish to freely express themselves which is a good thing and should be able to do so.
However, I have heard argument that even if these words are unblocked that players will just report them to us through the reports section on the forums. But not a lot of players will use the forums or know how to. So this will just make an entire mass of complaints from players to staff that people are using these words offensively.
I am not going to be casting a vote as I have no real conclusion on this as there are as many pros as there are cons.

Thanks,
~Shadow. :)

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
If we are going to unblock these words I therefore think that we should be allowed to talk about our Religions then too. Because if other people are allowed to have freedom of sexuality etc. and of who they are I believe I should have the freedom to speak of my religion when I feel it is right to do so. ST0RMSH0CK Just as it is who they are. This is who I am. Now I could make a massive deal out of this saying that I could be offended because it goes against what I believe in but I'm not because I'm not offended. I'm just pointing out how I feel like if this is going to happen then it would be extremely unfair to other people because then you are allow some people to express themselves but still limiting others. I also know some people will be like "But it sparks arguments and stuff" so does this.

Decis

Surprise *I know I'm late and all* I am bi-sexual myself, though when people call me "Gay, Lez, ect..." it does not affect me. I don't really care what people have to say if it's directed in a negative way. People have their own opinions that they can judge by, but so what? They can believe what they want, and I can believe what I want. I think this goes for all the LGBT community. I know all those homosexual people will *Most Likely* disagree but you what.. too bad. That sucks for you. :L

Socializing

Before I share my side of the argument because I know people are going to get offended. This is strictly MY OPINION. You may have a different one but this is MY OPINION. I am allowed to have different opinions than other people. Now that, that is out of the way. I personally think it shouldn't be removed. Due to the fact that many many people use it to insult. Also, I personally don't agree with it. Now I am not saying I hate everyone who is part of it. In no way am I say that. I am saying I disagree with it. We all have disagreements. Just like religion and stuff this is similar in some ways. The reason I don't agree with it is due to my beliefs. Now, I can understand why some people would want it to be unblocked. Because some people don't want to be put down for who they are. That is my opinion. I am going to repeat somethings because I know there will be at least one person who will be mad at me. This is strictly MY OPINION, just like religion people can have different opinions. and just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I hate those people. I am friends with people who don't have a religion. I can also be friends with people who are like this. If you start getting mad at me and stuff I will ignore you because you obviously haven't read this properly. Also, I am adding this on. I don't think we should be teaching kids who are 6, 7, or 8 what these words mean. That is not up to us. That's up to the parents. Also, just because "This is the way the world is" doesn't make it good or right. Now I am not saying like I said multiple times that I hate those people or anything. I'm pointing out that just because something is this way doesn't make it right. If we always just are like "That's the way the world is you just got to accept it and get used to it" that is not right. You have to fight for what you believe. Also, going off with the young children. That's not up to us to decide for those kids to learn what those things are. and being like "Oh, they will learn it eventually" it still doesn't make it right. Does that mean we should start teaching children about suicide and stuff because "they will eventually figure it out" NO! We should not!
I absolutely agree with apple. Again, I do believe that say you know what is definitely not wrong in ANY way.
But I feel that people will abuse this banned word for saying "That's really g.a.y, or Man you are so g.a.y".
This is a great idea, and I went with the neutral option, but I think you would need to be more wary of what people will say rather than peoples beliefs.

Nootch

Trusted Member
Just going to get to the point and keep this short, I think it should stay blocked. Basically, I agree with ST0RMSH0CK 's whole list of cons. I also absolutely agree with AppleGlacier .
I know most players will use it in a disrespecting manner. Also, there's children that play on the server, their parents may not want them to know about this sexuality yet.

(Don't start hating on me for expressing my opinion.)

ilymore

Imo HHG is supposed to be a 'happy place' right? right
So if not letting us express our sexuality how is that happy I feel as if we should get to express who we are even if some kids may use it in the wrong context that's an easy report and also we have staff most of the LGBTQ+ Community on happy is quite sad about this others take it as an offence of who they are I know this is short I cant think right rn
Thank you.

Decis

Just going to get to the point and keep this short, I think it should stay blocked. Basically, I agree with ST0RMSH0CK 's whole list of cons. I also absolutely agree with AppleGlacier .
I know most players will use it in a disrespecting manner. Also, there's children that play on the server, their parents may not want them to know about this sexuality yet.

(Don't start hating on me for expressing my opinion.)
I absolutely agree with apple. Again, I do believe that say you know what is definitely not wrong in ANY way.
But I feel that people will abuse this banned word for saying "That's really g.a.y, or Man you are so g.a.y".
This is a great idea, and I went with the neutral option, but I think you would need to be more wary of what people will say rather than peoples beliefs.
I honestly understand this *No hate, No hate* but if someone uses it in a disrespectful manner, what can you do about it? There are always going to be people that will act childish. That's their problem if they haven't matured yet. Not much you could do to handle one person.

Viperstrike

Trusted Member
I most do not agree with the word gay being unfiltered. Due to the pathetic world and the op that live in it. As most of you know the US has now more become understanding with gay people and gay rights this has lead to more states becoming and alowing gay marriage and other types of things. Also I think that there are kids under the age or 10 that do not and do not need to know what the word is and means. Next I think most players have not matured enough to use the word I'm a good way. Plus most players get cocky and start to get angry and rage about this block game when they lose and get killed in a game. Also I see a lot of people abusing this word if it gets unfiltered. I personally have a cousin that is gay and I totally support the gay community. And I'm sure there are gay ppl in HHG. I her a lot about then getting teased and getting bullied on the server. Plus I don't think HHG is ready to lift this word or not do I think they should. Just the amount of hate that the toxic 2k16 is I see that this word would not be used In any good way.
Surprise *I know I'm late and all* I am bi-sexual myself, though when people call me "***, Lez, ect..." it does not affect me. I don't really care what people have to say if it's directed in a negative way. People have their own opinions that they can judge by, but so what? They can believe what they want, and I can believe what I want. I think this goes for all the LGBT community. I know all those homosexual people will *Most Likely* disagree but you what.. too bad. That sucks for you. :L
^ that is perfect sayin

But I still don't agree with this I'm sorry -1

Nootch

Trusted Member
I honestly understand this *No hate, No hate* but if someone uses it in a disrespectful manner, what can you do about it? There are always going to be people that will act childish. That's their problem if they haven't matured yet. Not much you could do to handle one person.
Thanks for respecting my opinion, as I respect yours too.
Other words that are blocked are words that are used to disrespect others. This is a word, that can also be used in a disrespecting manner. I see no differences. When players are allowed to use it and they use it in a bad way, it causes even more immaturity/childness. I believe we should try to bring down the level of disrespect in the community, and this just adds another word that players can use against one another. This word is just as bad as any of the other blocked words (when used disrespectfully).

I was kinda wary about posting this, this wasn't a very good argument haha

Status
Not open for further replies.