• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Global Server IP's - Server Names. mc.happy-hg.com - Happy Hunger Games. Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aesome_crafter

Hello, I am back. A long while back I made a thread on Server Names (found here: http://www.happy-hg.com/forum/threads/mini-rant-opinionated.13871/) and there I talked about the rule on server names and I do know where I got it wrong. I confused server names with server IP's, thinking that they were the same thing. That is where this thread comes in.

I'm going to suggest something about Server Ip's. I'm sure most people do not think that server Ip's are different from Server names. They are both a representation of the server in which it is talking (for example, Happy Hunger Games and mc.happy-hg.com). There may be arguments to this statement and please do state them.

You may be thinking, why didn't you just read the rules etc. While I do think that everyone should read the rules, I honestly do doubt that they will remember every single one.

Some people have been permanantly banned because of this rule and I do believe this does need a change (even if it is some sort of a temp ban).

Thank you
~aesome

Edit: I mean this in a scenario where they do not mean to advertise the server IP at all.

Last edited:

MC_ProYT

Trusted Member
i kinda understand this, not really tho..

so basically your saying that people get unfairly banned for advertising a server? well, thats what I read

I dont think people actually get banned for doing this, for they get muted and then 3rd offense is temp ban.. idk

But I think if it is a mute, longer mute, ban, then it should stay the same as it is, i mean really! why would u even be telling other ppl names of servers, ON ANOTHER SERVER! xD

aesome_crafter

i kinda understand this, not really tho..

so basically your saying that people get unfairly banned for advertising a server? well, thats what I read

I dont think people actually get banned for doing this, for they get muted and then 3rd offense is temp ban.. idk

But I think if it is a mute, longer mute, ban, then it should stay the same as it is, i mean really! why would u even be telling other ppl names of servers, ON ANOTHER SERVER! xD
Right ok :) I get what you mean. Basically, I meant when they are not trying to advertise it (i'll edit it now). Basically, when you say a Server IP, it results in a perma ban while when you say a name, it just ends with a mute etc.

MC_ProYT

Trusted Member
Right ok :) I get what you mean. Basically, I meant when they are not trying to advertise it (i'll edit it now). Basically, when you say a Server IP, it results in a perma ban while when you say a name, it just ends with a mute etc.
it makes since tho, why would u msg some1 the ip of a server that they should go on INSTEAD of this one! xD

imgres-1.jpg

aesome_crafter

it makes since tho, why would u msg some1 the ip of a server that they should go on INSTEAD of this one! xD
Because people do have the choice to play other server's and if you PM someone then I believe it should be private anyway (thats another topic probably not going to be discussed by me). And I also meant that I think that a perma ban is too much for something that is practically the same (in my eyes) as saying a server name.

MC_ProYT

Trusted Member
Because people do have the choice to play other server's and if you PM someone then I believe it should be private anyway (thats another topic probably not going to be discussed by me). And I also meant that I think that a perma ban is too much for something that is practically the same (in my eyes) as saying a server name.
here is an easy solution: get skype

aesome_crafter

If you say an ip you should be banned... because you don't like "yeah that mc.happy-hg.com server is okay"
Ok I get what you mean but, I don't mean in a general sentence. I feel like a server name and ip are one in the same. They practically mean the same thing, the server. I'm saying that, while you be I don't know, temp muted for saying a server name, you shouldn't be permanently banned for saying a server ip.

SAFollis

Trusted Member
Ok I get what you mean but, I don't mean in a general sentence. I feel like a server name and ip are one in the same. They practically mean the same thing, the server. I'm saying that, while you be I don't know, temp muted for saying a server name, you shouldn't be permanently banned for saying a server ip.
A server ip is a direct connection... the name is just referring to it.

SAFollis

Trusted Member
Yes, they both refer to the same thing, the server. The name refers to the server and the ip refers to the server albeit in a different way.
It's like a phone, saying "Oh yeah call john smith" vs "Oh yeah call (123) 456-7890". One is the connection, the other refers. The ip of a server doesn't refer, it just is.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
I agree! Perm ban for mentioning the name of another server!
Oh, Is that not what you meant? You said the punisments should be the same for them both.

The punishment fits the crime. First degree murder (saying an ip) is worse than vehicular homicide (mentioning a name of a server). A life sentence in federal prison (perm ban) is different than a few years in a state jail (temp mute/temp ban). I honestly think the punishments are fine as they are.

aesome_crafter

It's like a phone, saying "Oh yeah call john smith" vs "Oh yeah call (123) 456-7890". One is the connection, the other refers. The ip of a server doesn't refer, it just is.
Ok, I understand you know however, In terms of HHG rules, I dont think it deserves a permanent ban. I agree that the server name and server ip are different (now) but I feel, when you hear a server name, you gonna check it and when you get a server ip, your gonna check (or vice -versa, when you hear a server name, you will not look it up, when you hear a server ip, you won't look it up). It's making you do the same things.

aesome_crafter

I agree! Perm ban for mentioning the name of another server!
Oh, Is that not what you meant? You said the punisments should be the same for them both.

The punishment fits the crime. First degree murder (saying an ip) is worse than vehicular homicide (mentioning a name of a server). A life sentence in federal prison (perm ban) is different than a few years in a state jail (temp mute/temp ban). I honestly think the punishments are fine as they are.
:eek:I'm sort of confused, can you please elaborate?

SAFollis

Trusted Member
Do you have anything to support your thinking? (Why do you think as such...) For example, why is saying an ip worse than the name.
Run over someone with your car and kill them? A few years in jail (well maybe a bit more, depends on situation). Get an illegal gun, hunt someone down, murder them, throw them in an alley? Death or life in prison. Running over someone with a car = saying a server name. Murdering someone = saying an ip.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
Do you have anything to support your thinking? (Why do you think as such...)
If you really insist on my reasons:
1: Saying an ip is a DIRECT link to the server. Regardless of how an IP is stated, it will always make a direct connection

2: Saying a server name is an INDIRECT connection to the server. If a name is used in any sense, it will never be a direct connection.

3: Saying an IP is worse than saying a server name; Most players will have heard about ServerName or serverNAME, so the name does less "damage". If there is a server IP mentioned, it is "telling" them specifically to join that server.

4: Since saying an IP is worse than saying the name, the punishment for saying an IP should be worse than that for saying a name.

5: I don't want to hear anything about another server when I am on HHG. It ruins the fun. An IP is way more fun-ruining than just the name.

aesome_crafter

Run over someone with your car and kill them? A few years in jail (well maybe a bit more, depends on situation). Get an illegal gun, hunt someone down, murder them, throw them in an alley? Death or life in prison. Running over someone with a car = saying a server name. Murdering someone = saying an ip.
But how can you say that saying an ip would be for example equivalent to Murdering someonen in that situtation. As of right now, that is how it is I agree but I'm trying to say that, people who do not realise that saying an IP is different can be different to saying a server name, maybe it should be a worse punishment than saying a name but, it does not deserve a permanent. Especially if you say it once, not even realising that you may be breaking the rules.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
But how can you say that saying an ip would be for example equivalent to Murdering someonen in that situtation. As of right now, that is how it is I agree but I'm trying to say that, people who do not realise that saying an IP is different can be different to saying a server name, maybe it should be a worse punishment than saying a name but, it does not deserve a permanent. Especially if you say it once, not even realising that you may be breaking the rules.
All of your points have been brought to staffs attention before and still not made any difference

SAFollis

Trusted Member
Because this is a server, not real life; making them equivalent for their 'environments'.

Plus, I'm comparing the difference, not the exact thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.