• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Global Minimum Staff Age

joexxx6

I have thought about this for a while, and before you have a go at me, I am not suggesting there is a shortage of staff on HHG. I am making this suggestion because I think it would benefit HHG a bit more. As you all know the minimum staff age is 14, but I think there are some people out there that are younger than 14 and would be good staff. I know the age minimum is in place to make sure that the staff on HHG are mature and won't abuse their staff privileges, but I think some people younger than 14 would be good, responsible and reliable staff that would be able to cope with any problems on the server. Obviously I am not suggesting that you should let younger kids take staff roles, as they might not fit the criteria you need to be staff, but certainly let them have a chance, it could benefit HHG greatly.

Well that's all I have to say, I hope you take this suggestion into consideration and maybe even change your mind about the staff age limit.

Thank you for reading.

-TheSpeedyTurtle_

SAFollis

Trusted Member
While there can be mature people under 14... most aren't. There'd be a flood of applications from 9 year olds and others who are not mature enough that would waste time of people reviewing them. It would also look fairly bad on the server to have staff that are that young, as it would be odd to go on a server and see a staff member who is, say, 11. On top of that, there's a lot of things staff have to deal with that might/will be inappropriate for those under the age of 14 to deal with (and some even inappropriate for people who are in the age requirement).

joexxx6

I see what you are saying and agree, there could still be a staff age minimum but just lower, as some 12/13 year olds could cope in those situations, and if they just lower it a bit, we won't have kids under 11, who aren't yet mature enough, applying, but would it would give them hope that they can be staff in the future when they are more mature, as they don't have to wait as long until they can apply.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
How many staff have left because of the stress? More than you probably think. Its usually an underlying cause for most of them.

Now, a 14 year old is likely going to be better at handling stress than a 12 year old. So if the age requirement was reduced I feel that the younger applicants would resign more quickly than those who are older.

PenguinPeople

If finding people who fit all the criteria for staff is already difficult, wouldn't it make sense to allow younger people to at least try out for staff?

Universalz

Retired Staff
You claim that having staff below the age of 14 would be a benefit for the network; however, the minimum age is set the way it is for a few reasons. A main reason is the fact that we are a PG-13 based server. This means that having a staff team older than the rating of the server is essential to keep the kids below 14.. you know, handled. The minimum age isn't set because of trust issues or maturity.. I know many kids below 14 that are trustworthy and mature. Another reason is because the team deals with issues that aren't appropriate for kids under the age of 14. Say you are a helper at the age of nine, and your mother walks in seeing a highly inappropriate plot or cussing.. That may not end up well. Another example is education. Many children do not know how to differentiate the importance between gaming and school. It could cause distractions because you have to be active and deal with annoying people at times. Education is a lot more important than moderating a server. In conclusion, I think the age is perfect how it is. Don't get me wrong here though, young staff members can be great for the community, but with the examples listed above, I don't think it's a wise decision for us to make. Thanks.

PenguinPeople

Another example is education. Many children do not know how to differentiate the importance between gaming and school. It could cause distractions because you have to be active and deal with annoying people at times. Education is a lot more important than moderating a server
This could be put under maturity which you yourself said that many kids under 14 are trustworthy and mature
Say you are a helper at the age of nine, and your mother walks in seeing a highly inappropriate plot or cussing.. That may not end up well.
This is a pointless example as this could happen if you are not staff.

So all in all you said kids under 14 can be trustworthy and mature, not to mention that younger staff members can benefit the community. Yet the only examples you provided to not change the age is things that apply to everyone no matter the age.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
This could be put under maturity which you yourself said that many kids under 14 are trustworthy and mature

So all in all you said kids under 14 can be trustworthy and mature, not to mention that younger staff members can benefit the community. Yet the only examples you provided to not change the age is things that apply to everyone no matter the age.
There are different types of maturity. Time management and Professional Interactions are two different forms of maturity. Universalz gave a good example imo.

pofoproud

Trusted Member
Its not pointless because players will ask the very young helper to see this inappropriate plot/get on to deal with this cussing player.. they will most likely do so because it is their voluntary job. But with a player they can easily just turn off chat/look away. Helpers can too but as i said its their job to deal with this player and they probably won't be as comfortable in these situations as a 14+ helper

joexxx6

If a player doesn't think they can cope with the stress then they shouldn't apply. Also, like you said about the swearing and inappropriate builds, if they don't think it'll look too good on them if their parents go into their room to see an inappropriate build/swearing they shouldn't apply.

Last edited:

pofoproud

Trusted Member
If a player doesn't think they can cope with the stress then they shouldn't apply. Also, like you said about the swearing and inappropriate builds, if they don't think it'll look too good on them if their parents go into their room to see an inappropriate build/swearing they shouldn't apply.
They prob won't care and they'll still apply and then the applications will just be filled with useless ones

SAFollis

Trusted Member
Then that should be a criteria, 'only apply if you can cope in stressful situations'.
They won't know what a stressful situation is, they'll be like "o yah daz ez ahahaha im 9 lez do its lololololololo" and then, well, yeah. Most people under 14 won't understand it (and quite a few over 14).

joexxx6

They won't know what a stressful situation is, they'll be like "o yah daz ez ahahaha im 9 lez do its lololololololo" and then, well, yeah. Most people under 14 won't understand it (and quite a few over 14).

You speak about 9 year olds but earlier I clearly stated:
I see what you are saying and agree, there could still be a staff age minimum but just lower, as some 12/13 year olds could cope in those situations.

PenguinPeople

There are different types of maturity. Time management and Professional Interactions are two different forms of maturity. Universalz gave a good example imo.
obviously I'm not suggesting we hire people without these forms of maturity, but it is possible to have younger players who can be mature. Maturity is not necessarily correlated with age.

joexxx6

Even 12/13 year olds are like that. There isn't that much of a difference.

Well, like you said earlier 14 year olds could do it, it makes no difference. Also, you talk about the number of applications, that won't change. Even if you are under 14 you can still apply, you just won't get accepted, how do you know people under 14 don't apply in a joking manner with the minimum age in place?

SAFollis

Trusted Member
Also, you talk about the number of applications, that won't change.
So allowing more people to do it will make it stay the same amount of applicants? I have a hard time believing that.
Even if you are under 14 you can still apply, you just won't get accepted,
Yes, but most won't due to not being accepted at all, and it's really easy to get rid of those with age under 14, rather than reading the entire thing.
how do you know people under 14 don't apply in a joking manner with the minimum age in place?
I'm sure there's some, but there's more people who would apply legitimately then jokingly.

Well, like you said earlier 14 year olds could do it, it makes no difference
There's a much bigger difference in maturity from 12 to 14 than from 9 to 12.

joexxx6

I'm saying that a 14 year old will be more mature than a 12 year old (13 years old will depend on the person for how mature they are, either being almost as mature, in between, or being immature)

That isn't exactly true, some 12 year olds can be much more mature than some 14 year olds. Maturity has nothing to do with age, maturity comes from experience.

joexxx6

All this is, is an idea. I only thought of this because there are some 12/13 capable of being strong and reliable staff, and lowering the age minimum would give an amazing opportunity to those people. I understand why you might think that this is not a very good idea, but think about it. If we lowered the age minimum it would benefit the HHG community, as it would show that everyone has a chance to be staff, and make the community seem free to everyone. Maybe one day a 9 year old might look at a 12 year old staff and say, 'this person achieved so much at such a young age' and go on to be inspired to apply when they're older, as they knowing how much someone around their age has achieved. Maybe one day that 9 year old will be Head-Admin, you never know, but it would've all started by them being inspired by someone around their age, doing such an important job, at such a high standard.

SAFollis

Trusted Member
All this is, is an idea. I only thought of this because there are some 12/13 capable of being strong and reliable staff, and lowering the age minimum would give an amazing opportunity to those people. I understand why you might think that this is not a very good idea, but think about it. If we lowered the age minimum it would benefit the HHG community, as it would show that everyone has a chance to be staff, and make the community seem free to everyone.
Some are capable, but... you really shouldn't be judging yourself as your own perspective is biased to view yourself in a positive light (that is why you made this topic, so you could hopefully be staff if it passed).
Maybe one day a 9 year old might look at a 12 year old staff and say, 'this person achieved so much at such a young age' and go on to be inspired to apply when they're older, as they knowing how much someone around their age has achieved. Maybe one day that 9 year old will be Head-Admin, you never know, but it would've all started by them being inspired by someone around their age, doing such an important job, at such a high standard.
There won't be a 9 year old head-admin. No 9 year old is that mature, and nor would anyone trust a 9 year old. That's like someone going "Oh look Einstein was good at math and stuff in high school, maybe I will become the greatest mathematician ever when I'm in 3rd grade!"