• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Skywars Map Opinions

Tesel

As I said a few days ago, I decided to collect my opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of each SkyWars map. I'll leave design choices up to the build team, but I tried to evaluate gameplay and favored playstyles of each map. These were all quick notes taken between games, so if you built any of these maps, please don't be offended by my comments. All of the maps I played had some good aspects and some bad.

1. Nightmare:
7 players? Should be 8, something is broken.
Styling is fine, if similar to other nether based maps.
Smaller islands around mid is a good touch.
Cobwebs are, as always, awful for PvP and should be taken out.
Decently fast pace, good island spacing.
Middle isn’t great since there isn’t a lot of PvP space except for the roof.
Decent map, but the error needs to be fixed and the cobwebs need to be edited. Also, a revamp of middle would be nice.

2. Abandoned:
Islands are way too small - the spawn islands can be abused with punch, and the islands around mid might as well not even be there given how many chests are at middle.
The entire map can really benefit from some cover, as there are open bow pathways everywhere.
Islands are also too far away so camping is easy.
Bridging up is the only viable strategy which is unfortunate.
The islands are also repetitive.
Needs major changes.

3. Haunted:
Again with the cobwebs!
Also spawn islands are too close together in the straight lines away from middle, forcing combat early.
The islands are generally far apart, with a couple groups of two really close which why that’s a problem.
Diagonals have a major disadvantage getting to the middle.
Needs to be pathways from the outer ring to the main island at middle which is rarely used.
That island is also terrible for PvP and needs changes.
The ring is also easy to knock people off of, though it is a good idea.
The map overall needs major changes, especially to the middle which is full of cobwebs.
The cobwebs were even more annoying the second time.

4. Garden Grove:
The spawn islands are a great distance from each other, promoting quick gameplay which is necessary in a 16 player map.
Notably aesthetically good.
This map really does the outer ring of middle well, with many bridges connecting outer and inner middle islands together.
However, middle is clearly a late game strategy since the islands are so easy to rush.
This could be neat as a 12 player map, but that change should be low on the priority list.
Second playthrough was good too, middle was used more that time.
The middle wasn’t as used the third playthrough but was still fun.

5. Jade Prominence:
Forces a different playstyle which could be both good or bad.
In the end definitely needs another chest since it is too unbalanced.
Also, the rings do nothing to prevent knockback, which should be changed.
Not a horrible map, but not a great one.

6. Wizards:
Was the ring done with worldedit? The gaps are uneven and give certain players advantages.
The islands are nice and large, lots of PvP space.
Getting to middle is difficult but not too difficult.
I like the separated sets of mid chests, it makes it possible for more fair gear.
The rings just need to be edited to be more equal with less weird gaps.
I experienced more bowspam the second playthrough which was unfortunate, as bows can be very effective to stop people from moving between islands.

7. Winterhold:
The middle is very… weird.
The chests below the islands are a neat idea that doesn’t do much for the game.
The map is very exposed and bowing is very overpowered.
The middle is very attractive and well done, but in my opinion the chests should be moved up next to the tree, and the island itself should be expanded.
Needs some changes to improve the way the map plays.

8. Magic:
Nice, fast paced map.
Multiple ways to get to middle with varying risk and speed.
Middle is separated into two parts, a good idea to make a balanced, fair map.
The ring actually prevents knockback in many situations.
The islands are a little small but not excessively so.
I recall that it wasn’t worldedited so some parts are uneven, but it’s pretty good as is.
Any fixes are optional.

9. Mystic:
Another interesting map.
The side islands are neat and decently well executed, surprisingly little bow spam there.
However, the paths to middle are a little too open with too few substantial islands.
Perhaps some actual islands there would be more appropriate, or at least more continuous glass.
A decent map, but not my favorite.

10. Balloons:
Actually a decent distance between islands.
The islands are bland and badly designed as it’s easy to abuse knockback.
Also, the middle is too far and just more of the same.
This is why most maps can’t pull off 16 players - the middle is just too far away.
Major changes needed.

11. Tree:
Islands are too far apart.
Decent sizing, but a little too open.
Also, middle is way to small at the bottom for good PvP.
Has the potential to be a very slow paced map.
Punch is pretty powerful here with all the open spaces.
If middle was expanded, and some smaller islands were added to break up the space this could actually be a very good map as build quality is not the problem.

12. Tower:
Decent sized islands, even though middle is a bit small it is enclosed making PvP possible.
Needs another spawn chest, as players can get stranded without enough blocks to safely build.
Punch isn’t too overpowered on this.
Islands are somewhat far from each other, but the distance is still reasonable.
A pretty good map - easy edit by adding more chests would improve it even more.

13. Wild West:
Good sized islands with good cover.
Not easy to bow, players with punch since middle is also large enough.
A very aesthetically appealing map, with a good blend of ideas that aren’t cluttered.
Glad to see 2 chests on spawn islands and 1 chest on small islands in the middle.
Rushing mid is useful but not necessary based on number of chests.
Only problem is that mid is covered with slabs - please change those to regular blocks at the center.
This is a struggle especially in normal jump mode.
Another quick edit that would make a really good map better.

14. Nether:
The theme is overused with haunted and nightmare which are both better maps.
Middle is small, and the islands around it are barely worth going to with the cover they provide.
Island spacing is large enough for lots of bow spam and OP punch.
Withers are a major problem a lot of the time.
The islands are also too small for much PvP given the house in the middle of each one.
Second playthrough showed that the playstyle is too extended.
The islands are well done but the middle is lacking.
Definitely not the most fun map to play, needs major edits.

15. Builder’s Dream:
The islands are too small and open.
Though they are close together it’s still easy to get spammed.
Also, the islands are too small and not enclosed enough to prevent knockback from being unbalanced.
The middle is especially small and uneven.
Good idea and theme but the gameplay is lacking.
Players either die early on or the game draws out based on the spacing and size of spacing.
Needs some major edits at least to middle to make this map more playable.
Island changes to add more protection would be useful as well.

16. Mushroom:
Middle is a good size and well built.
Prevents knockback weapons from being too overpowered in the middle.
Also, mushrooms provide defenses from bows.
The islands are slightly smaller than optimal but not a bad size.
Overall very well built with a balanced amount of chests.

17. Some Like it Cold:
The middle and surrounding islands are way to small.
Knockback and punch weapons are unbalanced given how open the map is.
The spacing is way too much and allows for a lot of camping.
8 islands moved close together would be a major improvement.
Middle also needs to be expanded with at least some flat area.
Major changes are needed to make this playable.

18. Frozen Tundra:
Similar styling but much better build.
Spawn islands and middle are almost the perfect size.
The small islands should be moved closer to middle as they are too close to spawn.
Low priority edits.

19. Volcanic:
Decent sized islands that are cleverly built.
The houses don’t really fit into the theme but they definitely improve playstyle.
Knockback and projectiles aren’t overused or overpowered.
Middle is a good size but should have less lava to enable PvP.
Also, chests need to have empty space above them so some chests need to be moved in the middle.
A nice change in pace in style with a unique theme.
A good map that could use a couple quick fixes.

20. Houses2:
Islands are well designed.
Everything is close and easy to access so the effects of small islands are minimal.
Quick gameplay is a major plus.
Spawn islands need 2 chests to make the games more balanced.
Second and third playthroughs were just as fun.
Good to see some maps that favor rush tactics.

21. Tower2:
The islands are good sized.
Knockback is not too overpowered on the map.
Islands are a decent distance, if a little far.
Cover from the houses makes bow spam less effective, which is a positive.
The middle is a little small and too far from the islands to be useful.
The map could be improved by expanding middle and adding small islands around it.
That would allow all of the map to be used more often, not just the spawn islands.

22: Houses:
The islands are a good size.
Distance between islands is fairly optimal.
Enjoyable, fast paced gameplay.
Middle is too separated and rarely used, however.
More islands could always be added, but middle needs to be either removed or changed.

I'd like to emphasize that these opinions were recorded about a small amount of games.
Do you have a different opinion of your favorite map? Have you had different experiences? Please comment on this thread and let me know. The idea of this thread is to give the staff team ideas of what to change, so that the players and staff can work together and be happy with future updates.

pofoproud

Trusted Member
15. Builder’s Dream:
Also, the islands are too small and not enclosed enough to prevent knockback from being unbalanced.
Players either die early on or the game draws out based on the spacing and size of spacing.
The point of this map was to be harder and more unique than most thats why its easy to get killed... You can easily hide by making a wall or just going down the ladders. Imo the gameplay i great because its easier for other player to kill because of the small spaces and the fact that you only have to build a couple blocks to jump to another players island is good because it makes the game go quicker. Its also mucheasier to knock other players off so it evens out... Easy to get to other island : But Hard to build
(what updates does it need because i would be glad to fix it and re-submit it)

Tesel

I'm willing to play through any of these maps and update my opinions...
Poofy, thanks for giving a reasoned explanation of the type of playstyle you think works on that map. I'll try that and see what I think of it.
Trenly, which parts do you disagree with? I'll definitely consider your opinions, but I can't tell if you agree with the negatives or positives of those maps.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
3. Haunted:
Again with the cobwebs!
Also spawn islands are too close together in the straight lines away from middle, forcing combat early.
The islands are generally far apart, with a couple groups of two really close which why that’s a problem.
Diagonals have a major disadvantage getting to the middle.
Needs to be pathways from the outer ring to the main island at middle which is rarely used.
That island is also terrible for PvP and needs changes.
The ring is also easy to knock people off of, though it is a good idea.
The map overall needs major changes, especially to the middle which is full of cobwebs.
The cobwebs were even more annoying the second time.

4. Garden Grove:
The spawn islands are a great distance from each other, promoting quick gameplay which is necessary in a 16 player map.
Notably aesthetically good.
This map really does the outer ring of middle well, with many bridges connecting outer and inner middle islands together.
However, middle is clearly a late game strategy since the islands are so easy to rush.
This could be neat as a 12 player map, but that change should be low on the priority list.
Second playthrough was good too, middle was used more that time.
The middle wasn’t as used the third playthrough but was still fun.

5. Jade Prominence:
Forces a different playstyle which could be both good or bad.
In the end definitely needs another chest since it is too unbalanced.
Also, the rings do nothing to prevent knockback, which should be changed.
Not a horrible map, but not a great one.

6. Wizards:
Was the ring done with worldedit? The gaps are uneven and give certain players advantages.
The islands are nice and large, lots of PvP space.
Getting to middle is difficult but not too difficult.
I like the separated sets of mid chests, it makes it possible for more fair gear.
The rings just need to be edited to be more equal with less weird gaps.
I experienced more bowspam the second playthrough which was unfortunate, as bows can be very effective to stop people from moving between islands.

7. Winterhold:
The middle is very… weird.
The chests below the islands are a neat idea that doesn’t do much for the game.
The map is very exposed and bowing is very overpowered.
The middle is very attractive and well done, but in my opinion the chests should be moved up next to the tree, and the island itself should be expanded.
Needs some changes to improve the way the map plays.

8. Magic:
Nice, fast paced map.
Multiple ways to get to middle with varying risk and speed.
Middle is separated into two parts, a good idea to make a balanced, fair map.
The ring actually prevents knockback in many situations.
The islands are a little small but not excessively so.
I recall that it wasn’t worldedited so some parts are uneven, but it’s pretty good as is.
Any fixes are optional.

9. Mystic:
Another interesting map.
The side islands are neat and decently well executed, surprisingly little bow spam there.
However, the paths to middle are a little too open with too few substantial islands.
Perhaps some actual islands there would be more appropriate, or at least more continuous glass.
A decent map, but not my favorite.

13. Wild West:
Good sized islands with good cover.
Not easy to bow, players with punch since middle is also large enough.
A very aesthetically appealing map, with a good blend of ideas that aren’t cluttered.
Glad to see 2 chests on spawn islands and 1 chest on small islands in the middle.
Rushing mid is useful but not necessary based on number of chests.
Only problem is that mid is covered with slabs - please change those to regular blocks at the center.
This is a struggle especially in normal jump mode.
Another quick edit that would make a really good map better.

15. Builder’s Dream:
#3 : the ring is not meant to be easy to stay on. It takes strategy to stay on. Building a wall or trying to get a pvp advantage works well for me. The middle is a bit far, but it is meant to be a challenge to pvp on. The lava and webs can be either used to your advantage or disadvantage.

#4: all you are suggesting is to make it a 12 player map. The map was designed for 16 players since there are 16 colors. Each island has a different color of flower.

#5: the rings arent meant to prevent knockback. I enjoy the different playstyle. I think that the amount of chests is fine. Even when normal chests are selected, I rarely find myself wanting for items.

#6: The bowspam is part if skywars, its going to happen on any map and you cant prevent it. I looked and from above it seems equally spaced throughout everything

#7: I like the way this map plays. Yes it is a bit weird having the chests lower, but it adds to the playstyle. Could maybe use a few improvements, but I like the map.

#8: you arent suggesting any fixes, but I dont think that the ring usually prevents knockback. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt;

#9: So youre saying that an open path is different than a bridge you build to center? 99 percent of the time, those are just open paths. As for the "more continuous glass"; the map was designed that way so it is not just an easy run to middle. It takes a little work as well as making sure you don't get bowed off.

#13: You say its not easy to bow with punch since the middle is large, yet other maps you complain that it is too easy to do that; it will never be a perfect medium and I think a bow battle is fun sometimes. The slabs add a more complex pvp element. they allow for a slight height advantage and can also make it easy to strafe people. I like the way the slabs also provide smoothness to the island.

#15: If you don't like the knockback, build on your island. I strongly feel skywars is a game of strategy, and you have to be able to adapt to many different play styles. This map just has a different play style and can be used to an andvantage or disadvantage. I think the middle is fine and I like the way the map plays.

Tesel

For #3, I understand the idea of the ring being strategic. However the webs are just too much... there's too many of them and they in fact give the advantage to geared players, not strategic ones.
For #4, sorry if that seemed to be the impression, but I like the way it plays. It's just unfortunate that the middle doesn't get used that often because it's far away compared to the islands. It's definitely a late game thing, that's for sure.
For #5, the concern isn't normal mode, it's OP mode. Double chests give a certain... balance to the gear that players get, because there's a low chance of certain players getting much more OP gear. I have gotten a single armor piece and had to fight players with full diamond off spawn... I'd like this map if it actually had a fast paced style, but the islands are at a certain distance where rushing is very risky and the islands are hard to directly bridge between.
For #6, the rings are definitely not evenly spaced giving advantages and disadvantages to certain players. I'm not worried about the bowspam as much since that's clearly part of the way the map was designed to be played.
#7 is a fine map, but the thing is that 90% of games I just win by building on top of the tree and snipe off players. Mid is far too risky a proposition to be worth it.
#8, the ring prevents enough knockback in some situations to be useful which is a positive. IMO, magic is jade prominence done right.
For #9, it's not that the path itself is open... it's that everything is open around middle, no islands, just air and a tiny amount of glass. The glass itself is useless as players are essentially forced to just bridge up.
For #13, that's a positive in my opinion and I'm sorry I didn't express that. There's a difference between a good bow battle and islands being so small that one bowshot is enough to kill a player that's just trying to bridge up and over.
For #15... The islands are small enough that it's very difficult to build anywhere if the players around you are feeling spammy. Building to the side will get you knocked off, and building up will also get you knocked off since the islands are small. It's a cool looking map and it's often fun to play, but every 1 in 3 or 4 times, players will spam and drag the game out.

Zainos

Owner, Founder and Lead Developer
Owner
Staff Manager
Thanks for your suggestions, really appreciate it. I'll consider em all when revamping the maps with the Build Team.
By the way, those aren't all maps, if you were wondering, here's the list of the current Sky Wars maps (16th April 2017): https://pastebin.com/LUDyE1LC