• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!

I could be wrong... But they're both 0.5 over 1/2..?

diidu

Sorry, me again. But half of 9 is 4.5 and half of 5 is 2.5 but the fractions are 3/5 and 5/9.... Oh, just look at the picture xD
Uhm.PNG

I bet I'm wrong but meh. Gosh I hate Mathletics right now, even though I've gotten 11304 points so far this week.. (Not to boast)

XV_Scorpion_VX

Retired Staff
Yeah 5/9 is smaller than 3/5. If you multiply the numerators (The top numbers) until you get the same number, the lowest common multiple I'm pretty sure it's called, which is 15, then you multiply the denominators (The bottom numbers) by what you did on the top numbers to get to 15. So in this instance it would be multiplying the 5 by 5 for the 3/5 fraction (As you multiplied 3 by 5 to get 15, you need to do the same to the bottom basically), which the answer would be 25, then you multiply 9 by 3 for 5/9 as you multiplied 5 by 3, and must do the same to the bottom, and you will get 27 as your answer, and since they have the same numerator now and you can accurately compare it, 3/5 would be bigger than 5/9. That's basically a longed out and broken up way of explaining it, I think I'm right on all of that anyway.

Zinex

Yeah 5/9 is smaller than 3/5. If you multiply the numerators (The top numbers) until you get the same number, the lowest common multiple I'm pretty sure it's called, which is 15, then you multiply the denominators (The bottom numbers) by what you did on the top numbers to get to 15. So in this instance it would be multiplying the 5 by 5 for the 3/5 fraction (As you multiplied 3 by 5 to get 15, you need to do the same to the bottom basically), which the answer would be 25, then you multiply 9 by 3 for 5/9 as you multiplied 5 by 3, and must do the same to the bottom, and you will get 27 as your answer, and since they have the same numerator now and you can accurately compare it, 3/5 would be bigger than 5/9. That's basically a longed out and broken up way of explaining it, I think I'm right on all of that anyway.
You did it backwards. You're supposed to find the number that can divide into both of the bottom numbers- not the top.

That would mean that 45 is the number that can divide into both of the bottom numbers (5 and 9 can both divide into 45).
After you've done that- you figure out what you multiplied the bottom number with, in order to get to 45. In this case (for 5/9), in order to get 9 to 45 you multiplied it by 5, therefore, you multiply the top number as well by 5 and get 25/45.
If you do the exact same thing for the 3/5, you should get 27/45.

Now you compare between 27/45 and 25/45 and see which is bigger.

I'm sorry I didn't use mathematical terms, I learn this stuff in Hebrew so I don't know the correct English words for it.

Btw, Scorpian might be right as well, but I've never seen anyone do it the way he did it.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
I think this is the easiest way:

Multiply the numerator of each fraction by the denominator of each other fraction. Whichever numerator provides the larger product is the larger fraction. The new denominator for each new numerator is the product of all the original denominator.

This works for any number of fractions, not just 2 but also 3,4,5,6....theoretically infinite. It also saves time by not finding the Least Common Denominator. Granted if you have a denominator of 4 and a denominator of 24, you may want to simply multiply the fraction with 4 as the denominator by [6/6], those cases are usually easy to identify

And to answer your question about them both being "0.5 over 1/2" that is not true. You said half of 9 is 4.5. Which is true. But (5-4.5)/9 is .5/9 or 1/18. You also said that half of 5 is 2.5, again, true. But (3-2.5)/5 is .5/5 or 1/10. Since you subtracted 1/2 from each fraction, that leaves you to conpare if 1/10 or 1/18 is larger. Since the numerators are the same, the one with the smaller denominator is larger. This can also be proven by saying that 18/180 is greater than 10/180.

Last edited:

XV_Scorpion_VX

Retired Staff
You did it backwards. You're supposed to find the number that can divide into both of the bottom numbers- not the top.

That would mean that 45 is the number that can divide into both of the bottom numbers (5 and 9 can both divide into 45).
After you've done that- you figure out what you multiplied the bottom number with, in order to get to 45. In this case (for 5/9), in order to get 9 to 45 you multiplied it by 5, therefore, you multiply the top number as well by 5 and get 25/45.

I'm sorry I didn't use mathematical terms, I learn this stuff in Hebrew so I don't know the correct English words for it.

Btw, Scorpian might be right as well, but I've never seen anyone do it the way he did it.
Yeah true that's another way of doing it, I've seen it before, It's still the same right answer. I do it a different way to a lot of people, the one trenly showed and you showed are more common than mine, I just taught myself a different way cause I'm strange lol.

SAFollis

Trusted Member
what is mathletics exactly?

also

3/8 = .125+ .125 + .125 = .375

5/9 = .1 repeating + .1 repeating + .1 repeating + .1 repeating + .1 repeating = .5 repeating

3/5 = .2 + .2 + .2 = .6

.375 < .5 repeating < .6

diidu

So confusing.
what is mathletics exactly?
It's something I have to use for maths work from school. I can do my maths homework and do extra learning on it. I know, it sounds boring, but it is actually quite addicting.

EPICMATT88

Trusted Member
I would ask for math help as well but I don't think people would like helping with algebra 2. XD
And yeah some up above are correct, use them as reference.

MissDark

Retired Staff
turn all the fractions to percentages and compare them

so divide the numerators by the denominators and multiply the quotients by 100

3/8 = 37.5% (38% rounded),
3/5 = 60%,
and 5/9 = 55.5% (56% rounded)

so compare them,
37.5, 56, 60 = 3/8, 5/9, 3/5

:')