• Note: We are accepting any kind of map. However, we are specifically looking for Jigsaw Levels and Parkour maps. Therefore, your arena may have a higher chance to be accepted if it's for once of those game-modes, as long as it meets our Map Criteria.
  • We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!

Skywars Frozen Tundra

Is this map good?

• Total voters

Trenly

Admin
Admin
Could just be me, but the islands seem a bit flat, maybe extend them further down?

Also, having just 3-4 textures isnt great. I would love to see some dirt or cobblestone mixed in with the islands to give it more of a "frozen ground" look. Maybe add depth and detail with snow layers. And the spires made out of all compact ice look a bit funny

McChess

Could just be me, but the islands seem a bit flat, maybe extend them further down?

Also, having just 3-4 textures isnt great. I would love to see some dirt or cobblestone mixed in with the islands to give it more of a "frozen ground" look. Maybe add depth and detail with snow layers. And the spires made out of all compact ice look a bit funny
Thanks for the feedback!

EL3CTR1C

Retired Staff
I'd name it Glacial Tundra* (Since we already have a map with Cold in the name, *Tentative Title*)
Maybe add some Taiga Dirt Blocks here and there, I think on some of the islands the Compact Ice looks good!
I couldn't really see all of the islands, I'd Also recommend maybe adding some snow covered dark oak trees on 1 or 2 of the islands.

McChess

I'd name it Glacial Tundra* (Since we already have a map with Cold in the name, *Tentative Title*)
Maybe add some Taiga Dirt Blocks here and there, I think on some of the islands the Compact Ice looks good!
I couldn't really see all of the islands, I'd Also recommend maybe adding some snow covered dark oak trees on 1 or 2 of the islands.
Thanks for the feedback! btw all the islands are the same so one person isn't so overpowered. Although that could be changed

Last edited:

McChess

UPDATE!
+Added cobblestone to bottoms of every island
+Added Spruce trees to 5/9 islands on the map. (Includes middle)
+Added snow slabs to every island
+Added Podzol to middle island
New Title: Frozen Tundra (Title inspired by ElectricStorm)
http://imgur.com/a/Lwdfk

McChess

Those ice spikes are a real biome in Minecraft. I was basing it off of those. If yo do not believe me, look it up

Trenly

Admin
Admin
Those ice spikes are a real biome in Minecraft. I was basing it off of those. If yo do not believe me, look it up
I know what the biome is and what it looks like. I'm saying they look a bit plain, even in vanilla. Just because that's what they are, doesnt mean you can't change it.

MC_ProYT

Trusted Member
I personally think there is a lot of cold maps on the server already. there is like 2 or 3 sg maps, 1 mob arena, and already like 2-3 skywars ones..

the map looks meh imo..

u could really work on the islands in general and add more detail instead of just making an island and using worldedit for the blocks, yes, i can tell it is definitely world edited

EL3CTR1C

Retired Staff
McChess I Think the map is fine personally, maybe a little bland, but I still think it looks alright. Maybe you could use the SG map Thawing Time as A reference to see what you could creatively add. If you can figure out a way to add some flair then I believe this map should have a shot at being accepted.

A Couple Ideas
-- Icy Oil Well?
-- IGLOO :>
-- Hockey Rink (LOL) xD
-- Bushes?
-- Yeti
-- Snowflake mini chest islands
-- CANADA! (because everyone loves canadians)
-- Ice Sculpture

Yeah Just think about what makes the map special, I personally think this map has more potential then Somelikeitcold, do it proud.

~ST0RM

McChess

I personally think there is a lot of cold maps on the server already. there is like 2 or 3 sg maps, 1 mob arena, and already like 2-3 skywars ones..

the map looks meh imo..

u could really work on the islands in general and add more detail instead of just making an island and using worldedit for the blocks, yes, i can tell it is definitely world edited
Yes it is world edited but how to that change the quality of the buildi? It shouldn't affect the design when being judged

Trenly

Admin
Admin
Yes it is world edited but how to that change the quality of the buildi? It shouldn't affect the design when being judged
If it's OBVIOUS that WorldEdit was used, ot detracts from the quality. The best builders use worldedit sparingly, or they know how to disguise it well.

For example: The terrain in almost all maps is worldedited, but it is difficult to discern unnatural spheres or boxed from worldedit because the builders have made it more natural. (In fact, if you ask almost any pro builder, they would be able to tell you where a person used worldedit smoothing only, compared to where it was worldedited smooth then finished by hand)

MC_ProYT

Trusted Member
If it's OBVIOUS that WorldEdit was used, ot detracts from the quality. The best builders use worldedit sparingly, or they know how to disguise it well.

For example: The terrain in almost all maps is worldedited, but it is difficult to discern unnatural spheres or boxed from worldedit because the builders have made it more natural. (In fact, if you ask almost any pro builder, they would be able to tell you where a person used worldedit smoothing only, compared to where it was worldedited smooth then finished by hand)
completely correct! as i stated before, the best builds dont use //replacenear, //replace, or other randomization commands, rather u should do it by hand to make it the best possible

this will take long, but thats what maps are for! the more time u spend on a map in total, the more it will get accepted. my first map got accepted because i took the time to work on it in about 6 hours total

Trenly

Admin
Admin
completely correct! as i stated before, the best builds dont use //replacenear, //replace, or other randomization commands, rather u should do it by hand to make it the best possible
Actually, //replace is very helpful for BASIC randomization, especially with exact percentages. I still go through and make things more random myself though

MC_ProYT

Trusted Member
Actually, //replace is very helpful for BASIC randomization, especially with exact percentages. I still go through and make things more random myself though
ik, but if u dont use percentages, and just do //replacenear 50 stone ice,snowblock,packedice, you will get a bad result most of the time

the only exception is when you are using stone and andesite, sometimes it looks good, not always though

McChess

ik, but if u dont use percentages, and just do //replacenear 50 stone ice,snowblock,packedice, you will get a bad result most of the time

the only exception is when you are using stone and andesite, sometimes it looks good, not always though
I never used //replacenear..... I used //cyl. Also I only did land with WE. All the spikes and trees were created by hand.

iiJam

Retired HHG Build Team Leader
I literally use //replace and //replacenear on a DAILY basis. I've talked about this before, there is a difference between world edited mountains or terrain where you can CLEARLY make out that it was world edited. And you can see the spheres, and using world edit to speed up a building process. All of the best builders I know use world edit. Once you see factions, I can guarantee you that we have used //replacenear or //replace to almost ALL of the rocks, fern randomisation, and accessories such as custom cactuss, ect.
I suck at randomising blocks. //Replace is a charm for me. You can change the percentage, if you want slightly more of one block than another. You can randomise pretty much anything!
I would just get angry at the person if they spent hours upon hours doing something by hand when you could of saved all that time with a few commands and tidying some things up.
Yes! You do need to change some things up some of the time(not all) because world edit isn't perfect. And your right! The best builds are done by hand. You need to build something first in order to //flip, //stack, //move, //rotate, ect.

iiJam

I honestly don't know where the heck your coming from. I think your just not experienced enough with the command. I have used //replacenear for instances like the one you just showed so much it's not even funny. The outcome is 9/10 good if you know the right block pallets and know what your doing.

Tuut

Trusted Member

Bro, you are so wrong xD

iiJam

I only did land with WE. All the spikes and trees were created by hand.
There is a great YouTube tutorial for Spikes by a YouTuber named Grian. I use the technique all the time if I'm in need of some spikes.
You need VoxelSniper, but the outcome is way better than by hand in my opinion (if you fix up a few patches) I believe the command is /B E Line (you'd need to look at Grian's Spike Tutorial on YouTube to know how to use it)

Also, having just 3-4 textures isnt great. I would love to see some dirt or cobblestone mixed in with the islands to give it more of a "frozen ground" look.
I honestly hate when dirt and snow/ice is mixed together. Doesn't work well with me.

ANYWAY. Onto the map.
I do think the middle would if been cooler if there were multiple spikes coming off the island at different angles and rotations. Because the ice spike in the middle does look a bit funny.
I defiantly like the addition of trees, and more blocks to the mixture.
I don't mind the rounded bottom of the islands. I used it on the islands in the SG waiting lobby. The technique can look good when done well.
Once again, I like that you've added some more islands around the middle with the singular chest. But in the future, I think it'd be cool to have some bigger islands in their place, and spread the rest of the islands out so they aren't all too cramped. (Don't worry about doing that to this map, those small islands are fine as they are.
As Trenly had said, the tops of the islands do seem a bit flat, but atleast you've put some snow layers there to give the floor a big of depth.

This map is pretty good, but I think if you added these suggestions, it would be higher in quality.
*adding some terraforming to the tops of the islands so they aren't completely flat
*And my suggestion about the spikes in the middle coming off at different angles and rotations. (If you have VoxelSniper)
I'll wait to see if you update the map, but for now I am sorry to say, but your map has been declined.

McChess

I literally use //replace and //replacenear on a DAILY basis. I've talked about this before, there is a difference between world edited mountains or terrain where you can CLEARLY make out that it was world edited. And you can see the spheres, and using world edit to speed up a building process. All of the best builders I know use world edit. Once you see factions, I can guarantee you that we have used //replacenear or //replace to almost ALL of the rocks, fern randomisation, and accessories such as custom cactuss, ect.
I suck at randomising blocks. //Replace is a charm for me. You can change the percentage, if you want slightly more of one block than another. You can randomise pretty much anything!
I would just get angry at the person if they spent hours upon hours doing something by hand when you could of saved all that time with a few commands and tidying some things up.
Yes! You do need to change some things up some of the time(not all) because world edit isn't perfect. And your right! The best builds are done by hand. You need to build something first in order to //flip, //stack, //move, //rotate, ect.
That's cool and all but I just need suggestions about my build........
I posted this right when he reviewed my build lol
Ik it has been declined, but if I improve it to the point where it is much better, could it be accepted?