• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Global Misworded Rule

me32305

If you got muted, by no means you are allowed to bypass it by using a sign or book at the Server, since you got muted for a reason and attempting it to bypass it will result in a ban for the length of your mute! Furthermore, if you believe you got wrongly muted/banned, you may submit a punishment appeal HERE

It has come to my attention that there is a very open rule in place. People are muted because of profanity or spamming. This is a perfect system, except for the rule stated above. There are people being banned permanently because of this rule for "bypassing a mute" this is not bypassing a mute. If I'm muted and I talk to my friend on skype it's not bypassing a mute. If you're communicating with a book, that means that only one person is probably reading, and that person is your friend. You can't spam with a book or sign.

Another reason this is a terrible rule is because the staff don't know what they are saying in the books. They may just be telling their friend that they have been muted so that they don't think they're being ignored. Long time members who play constantly are being banned for something so meaningless. Staff members are following people around trying to find reasons to ban them.

http://www.happy-hg.com/forum/forums/punishment-disputes.10/

Trenly

Admin
Admin
If you got muted, by no means you are allowed to bypass it by using a sign or book at the Server, since you got muted for a reason and attempting it to bypass it will result in a ban for the length of your mute! Furthermore, if you believe you got wrongly muted/banned, you may submit a punishment appeal HERE

It has come to my attention that there is a very open rule in place. People are muted because of profanity or spamming. This is a perfect system, except for the rule stated above. There are people being banned permanently because of this rule for "bypassing a mute" this is not bypassing a mute. If I'm muted and I talk to my friend on skype it's not bypassing a mute. If you're communicating with a book, that means that only one person is probably reading, and that person is your friend. You can't spam with a book or sign.

Another reason this is a terrible rule is because the staff don't know what they are saying in the books. They may just be telling their friend that they have been muted so that they don't think they're being ignored. Long time members who play constantly are being banned for something so meaningless. Staff members are following people around trying to find reasons to ban them.

Staff dont follow them looking for reasons to ban them.

A mute means you have lost your privelege to communicate on the server. Since skype is off the server, its not bypassing a mute. Regardless of what a player writes in the book, its still considered bypassing.

I like the rules how they are

me32305

Staff dont follow them looking for reasons to ban them.

A mute means you have lost your privelege to communicate on the server. Since skype is off the server, its not bypassing a mute. Regardless of what a player writes in the book, its still considered bypassing.

I like the rules how they are

If a person is communicating with their friend one on one with the book, the only way a staff member will find out is if they are following them around. I'm fine with the rule staying, but maybe a less harsh punishment, or even a warning should be put in place not a terrible ban. Like I said the person maybe telling their friend that they were muted.

Nonze

If a person is communicating with their friend one on one with the book, the only way a staff member will find out is if they are following them around. I'm fine with the rule staying, but maybe a less harsh punishment, or even a warning should be put in place not a terrible ban. Like I said the person maybe telling their friend that they were muted.

Wouldn't being muted mean they are not allowed to communicate, If so then you cant just be able to talk to someone just to tell them that your muted.
People arent that vague they will notice soon enough if one of their friends are muted,
Staff Member following around? I feel like its their duty to keep the rules in check nothing wrong with it imo

Trenly

Admin
Admin
Passing books back and forth is very suspicious, and any player could have seen it and reported it. Its unlikely staff are following players just to get bans. Also, its only a ban for the original length of the mute

me32305

Wouldn't being muted mean they are not allowed to communicate, If so then you cant just be able to talk to someone just to tell them that your muted.
People arent that vague they will notice soon enough if one of their friends are muted,
Staff Member following around? I feel like its their duty to keep the rules in check nothing wrong with it imo

Anyone who is a decent friend would tell them they got muted, I just don't see how passing books to a friend affects anything at all. I could see how profanity/spamming does though.

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff
Who cares what they are saying in the books, it's a form of communication. Skype is also third party.

I'd like to point out for most offensives under us muting you, we give MANY chances before you are permanently muted, it is your responsibility to follow the rules when on the Happy Hunger Games Network, both in-game and on the forums.

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
Gonna repeat what I said on the other one:

Kinda useless to argue, because you actually have no idea what goes behind on the staff team. Trenly does, but none of you do. I prioritize certain rules that are broken, some are more important than others so if two different people are breaking a rule, one if swearing and one is hacking, I will take care of the hacker first. Also, as Trenly stated rarely do we actually spectate people who we suspect of bypassing mute. Also as Trenly as EL3CTR1CST0RM why should you be allowed to talk if you broke our rules? We set the rules and you broke them knowing very well you did, or you didn't read the rules. Doesn't matter if it's just your friends, usually you are talking only to your friends in public chat anyway, so doesn't make a difference. You would still be able to talk in public chat if you hadn't broken the rules, it's not our fault you decided to ignore the rules we have set for this server. It's very easy to not get muted, banned, or even warned. You decided to break our rules and (You got a lot of warnings and mutes before you even get perm muted) so now you don't get to speak or communicate with other people as a result. As _Smokescreen_ stated Skype is third party and we aren't going to ban someone because they talked to someone irl, Snapchat, FB, Twitter etc. that would be ridiculous and we would have no way of knowing that anyway. We don't care if you talk to other people outside but since you broke our rules many time you are most likely gonna do it again and we want to prevent that completely.

Last edited:

EPICMATT88

Trusted Member
Let me some this all up: You know guys and gals, if you all just followed the rules for chatting in the first place then you wouldn't be muted. It's your own faults. And if you are innocent then just make a player report. :/ (These two conversations on this topic aren't getting any rules passed or removed btw I think the staff is unanimous on this one. May as well just shut up)

Handeril

Guys, this is ridiculous, but considering there's 2 threads on this topic alone, I'm going to contribute my "2 cents".

Now, when a player is muted, they have not followed the rules of the server regarding appropriate chat. If they were wrongfully muted, however, they may go to the lovely "Player Dispute" section (with evidence or a wrongful ban/mute) and dispute their ban/mute.

When it comes to signs or books, these are included in the rules likely due to hateful remarks still being thrown around (literally xD) via books, or posted for the entire public to see how determined you are to be a jerk via signs. Though, on the more serious end of things, it could be an advertiser determined to get their crappy server's IP around by any means necessary.

Skype is considered a 3rd party application and has no relation to HHGN. Other free 3rd-party applications and communication programs include, but are not limited to: Discord, Teamspeak, Facetime, Enjin, or Steam. (I have also seen games with voice chat even used for communicating, and some people even use a literal phone.)

Now, using these applications has an entirely different set of rules, most likely none having to do with HHGN. (Except common sense, as talking down about an MC server and getting caught by the right person may raise some questions, indeed!)

Now... here's the kicker. What if someone has none of that? What if their parents limit their communications to Minecraft alone? (I have encountered many people who have this issue, 2 of them happen to be very close friends, and they started this way.)

If said player was muted on the server, then they would have no way of telling their friends what happened without risking trouble with their parents, or risking trouble with HHGN. I would rather let them get the news across via books (where distribution is limited) then signs or even risk getting themselves into serious trouble, in real life.

Through signs, anyone can see said message, and it should remain a banned practice. However, unless the player was advertising (which they should probably have learned their lesson beforehand), I don't see a problem with books.

If a player would go through with signs and/or books to bully a player or commit any other chat violation, then it should be handled slightly separately...

Here's what I propose:

The server could add a new clause to mute-bypassing that states that if the book/sign contains any chat-related offenses on it or in it, then the player should be banned for mute-bypassing or receive a ban for the length of how long one would normally be muted. (As players that aren't muted may be bullying players using books and signs to seem innocent as we speak!)

So, basically, this would allow for rather "restricted" children to keep in contact with their friends here on the server. As well as open up some new ways for someone to get booted off HHGN if they break the rules of /msg chat using signs/books.

[Once again, ladies and gentlemen, this is just my "2 cents". It comes from what I have observed in my long walk of life, and my own thoughts might not be yours, and I can respect that.]

iwasakoala

Guys, this is ridiculous, but considering there's 2 threads on this topic alone, I'm going to contribute my "2 cents".

Now, when a player is muted, they have not followed the rules of the server regarding appropriate chat. If they were wrongfully muted, however, they may go to the lovely "Player Dispute" section (with evidence or a wrongful ban/mute) and dispute their ban/mute.

When it comes to signs or books, these are included in the rules likely due to hateful remarks still being thrown around (literally xD) via books, or posted for the entire public to see how determined you are to be a jerk via signs. Though, on the more serious end of things, it could be an advertiser determined to get their crappy server's IP around by any means necessary.

Skype is considered a 3rd party application and has no relation to HHGN. Other free 3rd-party applications and communication programs include, but are not limited to: Discord, Teamspeak, Facetime, Enjin, or Steam. (I have also seen games with voice chat even used for communicating, and some people even use a literal phone.)

Now, using these applications has an entirely different set of rules, most likely none having to do with HHGN. (Except common sense, as talking down about an MC server and getting caught by the right person may raise some questions, indeed!)

Now... here's the kicker. What if someone has none of that? What if their parents limit their communications to Minecraft alone? (I have encountered many people who have this issue, 2 of them happen to be very close friends, and they started this way.)

If said player was muted on the server, then they would have no way of telling their friends what happened without risking trouble with their parents, or risking trouble with HHGN. I would rather let them get the news across via books (where distribution is limited) then signs or even risk getting themselves into serious trouble, in real life.

Through signs, anyone can see said message, and it should remain a banned practice. However, unless the player was advertising (which they should probably have learned their lesson beforehand), I don't see a problem with books.

If a player would go through with signs and/or books to bully a player or commit any other chat violation, then it should be handled slightly separately...

Here's what I propose:

The server could add a new clause to mute-bypassing that states that if the book/sign contains any chat-related offenses on it or in it, then the player should be banned for mute-bypassing or receive a ban for the length of how long one would normally be muted. (As players that aren't muted may be bullying players using books and signs to seem innocent as we speak!)

So, basically, this would allow for rather "restricted" children to keep in contact with their friends here on the server. As well as open up some new ways for someone to get booted off HHGN if they break the rules of /msg chat using signs/books.

[Once again, ladies and gentlemen, this is just my "2 cents". It comes from what I have observed in my long walk of life, and my own thoughts might not be yours, and I can respect that.]
Tryhard.

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff

Here's what I propose:

We are not responsible for their life and the choices they decide to make in Minecraft, for if their only way to communicate to their fellow friends were on the Happy Hunger Games Network, then they should at least respect the fact that if they get muted by breaking a rule which honestly is not a smart thing to do in their situation, that it is their fault alone and that by subjecting them to be able to use books or signs to tell others that they are muted, we are simply allowing them to forget they even have a mute executed on them. It is just like saying that they should not even have a mute in the first place for breaking a rule and that we should not mute them until they tell their friends that they are muted, which is completely absurd. What is also off the wall is you saying this:
The chances of them breaking a mutable rule is possibly decreased dramatically when they use a sign/book if they are muted. Remember it is also the players responsibility to report players either with video proof or a screenshot of the incident occurring or to message a staff member currently present on the server. We staff are not on all the time to check each and every individual player on the server which is a complete waste of time. Anyhow, that is my response to your thoughts.

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
Handeril I see your argument but I also have to agree with Smoke on this one. Furthermore, players get many chances before they are muted, if say they don't know the rule for the first time and get muted. Then they should know that they should look at the rules if they don't then they are just arrogant and it is their fault. Also, it's impossible for us to monitor the books people are using. We can't spend time like that watching everyone who got muted to make sure they aren't bypassing those rules. The only way for us to check would be to take the book and read it. Although, there are two things wrong with that. 1. They can erase previous lines as they pass the book so we don't see it. 2. If we take the book and they haven't bypassed anything so far they'll know we are watching them and will obviously not break the rules then.

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff
Handeril I see your argument but I also have to agree with Smoke on this one. Furthermore, players get many chances before they are muted, if say they don't know the rule for the first time and get muted. Then they should know that they should look at the rules if they don't then they are just arrogant and it is their fault. Also, it's impossible for us to monitor the books people are using. We can't spend time like that watching everyone who got muted to make sure they aren't bypassing those rules. The only way for us to check would be to take the book and read it. Although, there are two things wrong with that. 1. They can erase previous lines as they pass the book so we don't see it. 2. If we take the book and they haven't bypassed anything so far they'll know we are watching them and will obviously not break the rules then.
Most of that has literally, already been said..

Handeril

We are not responsible for their life and the choices they decide to make in Minecraft, for if their only way to communicate to their fellow friends were on the Happy Hunger Games Network, then they should at least respect the fact that if they get muted by breaking a rule which honestly is not a smart thing to do in their situation, that it is their fault alone and that by subjecting them to be able to use books or signs to tell others that they are muted, we are simply allowing them to forget they even have a mute executed on them. It is just like saying that they should not even have a mute in the first place for breaking a rule and that we should not mute them until they tell their friends that they are muted, which is completely absurd. What is also off the wall is you saying this:

The chances of them breaking a mutable rule is possibly decreased dramatically when they use a sign/book if they are muted. Remember it is also the players responsibility to report players either with video proof or a screenshot of the incident occurring or to message a staff member currently present on the server. We staff are not on all the time to check each and every individual player on the server which is a complete waste of time. Anyhow, that is my response to your thoughts.

Look, I'm not saying they should forget they're muted. They got muted for a legitimate offense, but imagine all your friends feeling ignored because you're not allowed to say anything by any means necessary. What if they didn't anticipate to be muted, and they lost every one of their friends simply because of a mute. Not everyone is understanding of mutes, trust me, I've encountered both ends of the "spectrum". (People who think you're lying and use sarcasm towards you, or worse, people who encourage you to break the rules for the sake of informing them of your mute.)

I'm basically trying to say, to handle books and/or signs like private messaging another player or global chat. That way, we can still handle offenses with these implements with bans, while still allowing people to get the news around. (That also means players can screenshot the offensive content or record it, and have the player banned accordingly.) Now, signs effect... how many gamemodes?

Let's list them out:

UHC
Skywars
Creative
Factions (When it comes out)

Books effect how many gamemodes?

UHC (Determination!)
Skywars (If you're that lucky...?)
Creative

There's a very low chance that someone can get the news around due to having 0 way of saying anything whatsoever.

If you insist to keep the rules as is, then can we add a plugin that checks if the player is muted upon /msg to them?

Here's how it'll display:

[me -> JoeBlow] Heya!

> Player has been muted for <reason>, and will be unmuted on <Day> at <Time>

I don't approve of this comment, as I'm just trying to find an equal ground here between two conflicting "parties".

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
Look, I'm not saying they should forget they're muted. They got muted for a legitimate offense, but imagine all your friends feeling ignored because you're not allowed to say anything by any means necessary. What if they didn't anticipate to be muted, and they lost every one of their friends simply because of a mute. Not everyone is understanding of mutes, trust me, I've encountered both ends of the "spectrum". (People who think you're lying and use sarcasm towards you, or worse, people who encourage you to break the rules for the sake of informing them of your mute.)

I'm basically trying to say, to handle books and/or signs like private messaging another player or global chat. That way, we can still handle offenses with these implements with bans, while still allowing people to get the news around. Now, signs effect... how many gamemodes?

Let's list them out:

UHC
Skywars
Creative

Books effect how many gamemodes?

UHC (Determination!)
Skywars (If you're that lucky...?)
Creative

There's a very low chance that someone can get the news around due to having 0 way of saying anything whatsoever.

If you insist to keep the rules as is, then can we add a plugin that checks if the player is muted upon /msg to them?

Here's how it'll display:

[me -> JoeBlow] Heya!

> Player has been muted for <reason>, and will be unmuted on <Day> at <Time>

I don't approve of this comment, as I'm just trying to find an equal ground here between two conflicting "parties".

We understand what you are saying, although, we think that it is their fault for being muted. They can choose to follow our rules and if they do it's fine. If not then they have to suffer the consequences whatever they may be. Although, I do agree we could have a message plugin that tells you if a player is muted. Wouldn't have the reason or time on it. That is confidential. Would just say the player is muted.

Handeril

We understand what you are saying, although, we think that it is their fault for being muted. They can choose to follow our rules and if they do it's fine. If not then they have to suffer the consequences whatever they may be.

My thoughts behind these suggestions is of people who rely on their friends for support, and by losing them... yeah... it wouldn't be pretty. I've had friends who relied on MC servers to keep in contact, and were muted. They then lost all their other friends and basically left me with their final words before they logged off the server, presumably to kill themselves. (I am crying as I remember these moments of trying to talk them out of it, and I couldn't...)

So, either some form of communication should be allowed, or a system could be implemented to inform players if a player is muted when messaging them. (It can also inform them why they're muted, and inform them when they'll be unmuted.) [That way, their friends at least know they're muted, and why they were.]