• Note: We are accepting any kind of map. However, we are specifically looking for Jigsaw Levels and Parkour maps. Therefore, your arena may have a higher chance to be accepted if it's for once of those game-modes, as long as it meets our Map Criteria.
  • We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!

Declined Heaven & Hell - (Mob arena) Built by Chqrli

justcharli

Name: Heaven & Hell
Gamemode: Mob Arena
Located: /P h Chqrli 41
Theme/Description: i decided to do a map where half of the map is a nice nature/land theme and the other half is a dark nether/scary theme. there is two angels on top looking over the map. one angel represents "heaven" and the other represents hell. there is a fire breathing snake/dragon, zombies coming out of the ground, skeletons and other spooky stuff on the hell side and on the heaven side there is loads of wildlife, an overgrown wishing well, a small cottage and a market :) (if possible - trenly/zainos, if this gets accepted is there a way to make it night on the hell side and day on the heaven side? if not then just keep it day)

pictures with shaders:

Hell side:
2019-07-12_20.25.36.png
2019-07-12_20.24.47.png
2019-07-12_20.31.42.png
2019-07-12_20.27.20.png
2019-07-12_20.27.41.png

2019-07-12_21.51.39.png

heaven side:
2019-07-12_20.25.53.png
2019-07-12_20.32.00.png
2019-07-12_21.09.27.png
2019-07-12_20.31.52.png
2019-07-12_20.26.38.png
2019-07-12_20.26.48.png

both:
2019-07-12_21.51.25.png
2019-07-12_21.51.14.png

2019-07-12_19.40.02.png
2019-07-12_21.51.03.png
2019-07-12_21.50.44.png

Lobby:
2019-07-12_21.03.28.png

thanks for reading/looking! i worked hard on this and hope you like it! you can always give me tips/suggestions in the replies, they help a lot :) you can visit my plot and check it out for yourself if you want

Attachments

• 2019-07-12_20.24.07.png
    2019-07-12_20.24.07.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 434
  • 2019-07-12_20.24.03.png
    2019-07-12_20.24.03.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 421
Last edited:

xoSammy

Build Team Leader
Build Team Leader
Nice Map theme and ideas you've gone with, personally I think the execution of this idea was pretty good. Only problem I have is if 1 side of the Map only spawns bad mobs... no one will be on the heaven side unless they just wanna camp and live the entire game...

justcharli

Nice Map theme and ideas you've gone with, personally I think the execution of this idea was pretty good. Only problem I have is if 1 side of the Map only spawns bad mobs... no one will be on the heaven side unless they just wanna camp and live the entire game...
usually when mobs spawn in mob arena, they get spread out around the map in groups. so people will be switching from both sides while playing (if that makes sense)

xoSammy

Build Team Leader
Build Team Leader
usually when mobs spawn in mob arena, they get spread out around the map in groups. so people will be switching from both sides while playing (if that makes sense)
Not sure if it would work as I believe the mobs only spawn in groups in an area nearest the players.

justcharli

Not sure if it would work as I believe the mobs only spawn in groups in an area nearest the players.
yeah but i dont think players will be on one side of the map for each game as they would be running around looking for mobs. people will most likely camp on the bridge in the middle so they could see where the mobs are around the map on high ground. (similar to the fountain in the broken city map)

INeedOreos

This looks amazing even though I saw when I tpa but where’s the spot where spectators go when they die. but the map is awesome gj!

Trenly

Admin
Admin
My apologies that I haven't been able to review this yet, I will take a look at this more closely sometime this week hopefully.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
I took a look at the map in game and here is my review of it.

First, I like that you have a solid theme. The idea of it is a great idea, and could be really great if executed well. In your screenshots, you used shaders. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it can mask certain aspects of the build. One example of this would be the colors. If you look at just the "Heaven" half, its almost all green except for the river. If you look at the "Hell" half, its all reds and blacks and oranges. I understand that you were going for a clash, but the way the green and the red meet just isn't blended very well. Additionally, based on the map name and the figurines, I would have expected the heavenly side to be more based around white than around green. While both colors can work, sometimes one is easier to blend than the other. It really depends on your building style though.

The figurines above the map look great and are well made. They are truly representative of the theme. But when I move down into the map itself, the dragon seems to come out of nowhere and is very monochromatic. The skull is really good, but its hard to tell that it is a skull unless you're looking at it from the front. If it were at an angle facing the center of the map more it would give it a lot higher visibility and recognition. Many of the other decorations like the trees and river itself are well made. I like the well and fences near the river, but the house made of mushroom blocks looks quite odd. The texture just doesn't really blend with the wood.

The terrain is the final thing. While a flat arena isn't a bad thing, I would expect to see at least some variation in height on such a large area. Like how you have the miner trapped in the lava pit on the hell side, that small area of height variation adds depth to the map and still doesn't get in the way of the pvp. The borders are a bit blocky and don't seem super smooth and the blending of the two sides is virtually nonexistent on the border. Some of the block choices like brown mushroom and smooth granite are a bit odd to me, and I think that a simpler palate would have been just as good. The square shape does not lend itself well to this style of map, and I think that a freeform or elliptical shape would have made the blending easier all around.

While it is a good concept, and there are some good things about the map, I don't believe it is the best fit for the server at this time.

justcharli

i agree, this was one of my first "big" maps i worked on and i think I've improved a lot since making it. it has been a long month since i built this and i think my building style and w/e skills have changed a lot. the map was atleast fun and enjoyable to make and i respect your decision to decline it