• We are now in Discord! Join our community discord for latest server news and more! You will also get a FREE RARE TREASURE when successfully linking your account! Join now, click here!
  • This portion of the forum has moved to Discord!

Why do you ban people for advertising in msg?

Trenly

Admin
Admin
Because thats what the rules say. Mentioning an ip is punishable by a perm ban. It doesnt matter if its in global chat, private message, on a sign, in a book, a renamed item, or any other way to communicate it. If they have proof that you shared a server ip, you will be banned.

Viperstrike

Trusted Member
Because thats what the rules say. Mentioning an ip is punishable by a perm ban. It doesnt matter if its in global chat, private message, on a sign, in a book, a renamed item, or any other way to communicate it. If they have proof that you shared a server ip, you will be banned.
If only there where a way to see the rules... them people might not break them.

me32305

I get that if you type it in global or in a private message, but the rest of that stuff is a bit ridiculous.. lol

AppleGlacier

Retired Staff
Well, no one except the staff knows what the punishments are for breaking a certain rule. Unless, of course, you have a friend who broke that rule and you saw the punishment. Don't believe anything anyone says unless a staff member told you or it's on the website. I am not denying or affirming the punishment. Although, I will say you should follow all rules and we put out pretty reasonable punishments for breaking rules.

Trenly

Admin
Admin
Well, no one except the staff knows what the punishments are for breaking a certain rule. Unless, of course, you have a friend who broke that rule and you saw the punishment. Don't believe anything anyone says unless a staff member told you or it's on the website. I am not denying or affirming the punishment. Although, I will say you should follow all rules and we put out pretty reasonable punishments for breaking rules.
But staff did tell us:
rules said:
If you’re caught advertising another Minecraft server or mention an IP, this will result in a PERM BAN.

Handeril

Each server has it's own way of handling an advertiser, examples I've seen:

Example 1:

Global chat = Perm ban

Private Message = Perm mute

Sign or other form = 2 week ban

Example 2:

Global chat = Perm ban

Private Message = Perm ban

Sign or other form = Complete wipe of one's inventory and/or plot! :eek:

These are just examples of what I've seen though. As for why, it would have to do with advertisers who use /msg as a means of trying to get away with giving away an IP.

Zelistra

Trusted Member
Like why a ban I think in public chat I agree a ban is fair but in msg maybe a mute.
My friend said the name of another server in private message and got perm banned and she can't buy unban, guess what she did? She quit Minecraft bc hhg was her home like mine. . .

I get that if you type it in global or in a private message, but the rest of that stuff is a bit ridiculous.. lol
If you can't advertise in global chat why can you advertise in private chat? Makes no sense to me

Each server has it's own way of handling an advertiser, examples I've seen:

Example 1:

Global chat = Perm ban

Private Message = Perm mute

Sign or other form = 2 week ban

Example 2:

Global chat = Perm ban

Private Message = Perm ban

Sign or other form = Complete wipe of one's inventory and/or plot! :eek:

These are just examples of what I've seen though. As for why, it would have to do with advertisers who use /msg as a means of trying to get away with giving away an IP.
That is just wayyyyyyyy too complicated, I like the rules now, basically if you advertise in any form you might get perm banned/perm ip banned, done, it's that simple.

_Smokescreen_

Retired Staff
That doesn't matter though, his point is actually very valid. Advertising through /msg doesn't hurt anybody. Maybe it should be a mute as suggested.
Nope, no matter how small of a server that is DIRECTLY ADVERTISED (bypassing to send an IP) is strictly forbidden from HHGN through any means. Keep in mind that, if we are just going to mute them, they have a whole host of other ways to advertise an IP. We don't know if it is a friend they are sending it to, or a complete stranger, but that shouldn't matter, advertising an IP is basically taking away players from the server. Though this is what I think and I stand by strongly with the rules that are implemented right now.

Tuut

Trusted Member
Nope, no matter how small of a server that is DIRECTLY ADVERTISED (bypassing to send an IP) is strictly forbidden from HHGN through any means. Keep in mind that, if we are just going to mute them, they have a whole host of other ways to advertise an IP. We don't know if it is a friend they are sending it to, or a complete stranger, but that shouldn't matter, advertising an IP is basically taking away players from the server. Though this is what I think and I stand by strongly with the rules that are implemented right now.
Explain to me why it matters if 2 players can just exchange Skype's and then "advertise". It's the same thing, except the rules just make it more tedious to do. And don't even tell me that when people say IP's everyone that reads the message immediately wants to go join that server. But, if you really think that it's such a big deal and detrimental to the server, then MUTE them. You say they have a whole host of ways to do it, but all I can think of is writing it on a sign or a book. But why would they do that when- actually nevermind I don't feel like getting into all the if ands or buts with this but no offense to you, buuuuuut geez ur arguments don't even make sense.

watch me get banned from forums for this

XV_Scorpion_VX

Retired Staff
And me lol, but then again that's because I was staff, and to be honest I still have the staff ban and punishments thing on some part of my computer lmao.

But honestly agreeing with Benji and Tuut, even when I was a staff member, I thought and still think it isn't a problem for someone to PRIVATELY message a person the name of a server, or the ip of a server (Broadcast message however should still be bannable) as it's not really hurting anything, and the fact is, people do go on other servers, so private messaging someone an ip I really don't think should be bannable, a lot of other servers allow it including many big servers. Ok, so some of you may say "Yes but you can advertise an ip by messaging loads of different people if private messaging servers and ip's is allowed" well that's a suggestion I have. If someone is doing that by spamming a server or an ip to multiple people (More than 3), then the staff member should follow the same ways as dealing with spamming, and it should be classed as spamming a message and should be dealt with in the same ways as spamming, as it is spamming and should not be allowed. HOWEVER, if the player does this after the traditonal kick and then mute, the mute should be replaced with a perm ban, because it is still classed as advertising something, and should then kind of transition over from the rules of spamming to the rules of advertising, so what it does it make it so that people can message ip's to a friend to go play on there to make things easier, and will still prevent advertising on the server. It may be a little more complicated, but that's what staff are "Professionally trained" ey?

Benji

But u don't ban people for saying swear words and that's bypassing just like advertising :p

And me lol, but then again that's because I was staff, and to be honest I still have the staff ban and punishments thing on some part of my computer lmao.

But honestly agreeing with Benji and Tuut, even when I was a staff member, I thought and still think it isn't a problem for someone to PRIVATELY message a person the name of a server, or the ip of a server (Broadcast message however should still be bannable) as it's not really hurting anything, and the fact is, people do go on other servers, so private messaging someone an ip I really don't think should be bannable, a lot of other servers allow it including many big servers. Ok, so some of you may say "Yes but you can advertise an ip by messaging loads of different people if private messaging servers and ip's is allowed" well that's a suggestion I have. If someone is doing that by spamming a server or an ip to multiple people (More than 3), then the staff member should follow the same ways as dealing with spamming, and it should be classed as spamming a message and should be dealt with in the same ways as spamming, as it is spamming and should not be allowed. HOWEVER, if the player does this after the traditonal kick and then mute, the mute should be replaced with a perm ban, because it is still classed as advertising something, and should then kind of transition over from the rules of spamming to the rules of advertising, so what it does it make it so that people can message ip's to a friend to go play on there to make things easier, and will still prevent advertising on the server. It may be a little more complicated, but that's what staff are "Professionally trained" ey?
Agreed.

And I also need to ask why when I try say something like 1.8 1.10 or something I says No advertising if caught doing so you will be perm banned

Last edited by a moderator:

Trenly

Admin
Admin
But u don't ban people for saying swear words and that's bypassing just like advertising :p
Advertising is specifically stated in the rules separate from swearing. Therfore, its not the same. Yes, you still have to bypass the filter to advertise, but the "effect" of swearing is different than that of advertising.
And I also need to ask why when I try say something like 1.8 1.10 or something I says No advertising if caught doing so you will be perm banned
Report it as a bug then

me32305

You right, swearing is way worse than advertising :)

Why is swearing worse than advertising? The only thing having possibly having impact is advertising. It's just words, i'll never understand why people get upset about swearing.